Hornby Pullman coaches

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
neil 60

Hornby Pullman coaches

Post by neil 60 »

Don't know if any one can help but if my Peco live frogs are laid flat and my very small sprit level says it should I be able to push 5 coaches a cross I can pull I've check the back to back. I have not ballasted the track yet the loco is a bachmann class 40 thanks for any help.
Walkingthedog

Re: Hornby Pullman coaches

Post by Walkingthedog »

I used to push all manner of wagons and coaches around my layout over various points without any problems.
Nurse, the screens!
neil 60

Post by neil 60 »

ok I'll cary on looking thanks.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Not quite sure what you are asking. Are you thinking of getting Pullman coaches or are you having problems pushing them across the poins?
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I assume the coaches are derailing? Are the points Code 75? if so, the Pullman coaches may have a deep flange on the wheels, which is catching on the point work and causing the derailment.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Another question. Are they the older type of are they the newer type coaches? The newer ones have working table lights and the close coupling system with NEM pockets. The older ones don't. One may find the older ones usually behave well when reversed but newer type may not. (Similar issues on many modern made coaches that have NEW pocket tension loco couplings with close coupling systems. Answer is to use the permanent coupling bars which are normally provided with these type of coaches).
The older examples which are usually well behaved will have issues with modern Peco track built to finer scale standards. Is an easy fix as one simply buys new modern wheels! (Keep the old wheels as people like me and others find them useful, or one can use them in a loco depot scene).

I hope that you have every success with your coaches.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit »

Hornby have produced several versions of Pullman Coaches over the years, the more recent are to finer tolerances and with more detail, including the wheels and some of the older ones have deeper flanges.
You also might like to check that the wheels are in fact clean. I run a DCC controlled layout and it is amazing how much dirt builds up on the wheels and has to be cleaned off far more frequently than one would assume. A careful scrape with a craft knife blade then a thorough wipe over using cotton buds moistened with a suitable liquid and it is surprising how much dirt you will remove. I use methylated spirits to dampen the cotton buds as it evaporates quickly, but you need to be in a well-ventilated space without any naked flames!!
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit »

I have recently acquired a set of Pullman coaches ex- Devon Belle set. Unfortunately one of the cam couplings has a broken retaining pin and the tail of the coupling hook fouls the track at crossings etc. I wish to get the bogies off to effect a repair but cannot see how the body unclips. Is it a simple matter of prising the sides out at the bottom to expose small lugs, or is there a more devious way of assembly? :roll:
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Not entirely sure about the Pullman’s but many other Hornby coaches will have a small lug (part of the glazing) that sticks through the floor in each corner of the coach. They need to be released with a small screwdriver before the body will release. There is usually a central clip on each side of the body as well.
I guarantee that you will break at least one of the lugs as the glazing is very brittle.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
grumpyoldgit

Post by grumpyoldgit »

Thank you for the advice - Steve M. So it appears there is permanent damage and much swearing involved if I attempt to replace the broken component. :( Might be wiser to simply cut the offending dropper on the hook. Cogitation before action, then. :roll: