platform

greatwestern

platform

Post by greatwestern »

Building a n gauge layout from scratch and laid down track .
Making own stations and need advice on height of platform for n gauge coaches.
Will 12mm thick plywood do as it will be quicker to cut out lengths.
Walkingthedog

Re: platform

Post by Walkingthedog »

About 3feet above the top of the rails, so 2mm to the foot is…………………..
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

To add to WTD excellent reply do note the measurement is taken from the rail top NOT the baseboard surface.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
jed10

Post by jed10 »

I am an N gauge modeler and have built my own platforms. Firstly, what nay be prototypically correct isn't always what looks best, especially in N gauge. Personally I make my platforms to 11mm finished height and I think that looks about right. Now, when I say finished height that also takes into account the top surface. I use 1mm greyboard plus Metcalfe tarmac card as the top surface plus edging with a Scalescenes white wood slat sheet stuck to card. That accounts for about 1.2mm by the time it's glued in place. For the base I use two bits of 5mm polyboard glued together so the overall 11mm height (or just a fraction over) is what I get. Obviously there's a bit more to it than that with overhang, edging and weathering etc. but the end result is quite good and quite easy to build in long sections.

I think you'll find 12mm ply to be a bit too high once you've added a surface finish to the top. Have a look at polyboard because it's much easier to cut to size. You can buy sheets of 5mm board quite cheaply at places like Hobbycraft.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

9mm ply or MDF with a suitable surface finish would be close. But I agree foam board would be easier to work with and a lot cheaper.
As a comparison I used 18mm MDF with a painted surface in OO so 4.5 feet from the bottom of the sleepers and it equates to 9mm in N.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)