Train Spotting Not My Forte

Chops

Train Spotting Not My Forte

Post by Chops »

Is this a locomotive that would be a typical goods hauler, or restricted to passenger service?

And this, below? I recall the overhead was used for yard maneuvers, that personnel would not be tripping over third rail, but cannot recall for the life of me what was its primary usage. Marvelous runner, whatever it is.

Walkingthedog

Re: Train Spotting Not My Forte

Post by Walkingthedog »

Its primary use was as you stated, for use where a third rail would be dangerous.
Nurse, the screens!
Chops

Post by Chops »

That being said, was it primarily passenger or goods, and the other, the Class fifty something, below..?

This one more at home on goods or passenger or both?

And the third rail, locomotive, I'm guessing that would be restricted to primarily commuter third rail service? And then,
how is it that is more expedient, much less cost effective, to erect catenary limited to a specific yard, and a specific
movement, than to simply bring out a diesel shunter to push things into the necessary stubs?

TBH, I purchased it because 1. it such an odd unit to be both third rail and overhead, and 2. it got a good review on Sam's Train
Review. And it is a splendid performer.

Post by 508035 »

Hi Chops

The blue locomotive is a class 33 diesel and worked either passenger or freight trains, sometimes they were double headed if the weight was too much for 1 to haul the train. From what I can remember, there are quite a few pictures which were taken of class 33s double headed during the engineering works that took place prepping the uk tracks for channel tunnel trains.

The green loco is a class 71 electric of which only 1 ( E5001 / 71001 ) survives, they were versatile locomotives in that they were 3rd rail or overhead locos but they were restricted to purely electric work and thus wre uncoupled from their train ( either passenger or freight ) if they train had to go beyond where the 3rd rail was in place.

As you stated, they had a pantograph for yard work ( the wires energised at 750v DC same as the 3rd rail ). After the 71s cane the class 73 locomotives which were 3rd rail and diesel locomotives so could also work where the 71s would use the pantographs as they could use their onboard diesel engine for traction, then came the class 74s which looked lke the class 71s body wise which had 3rd rail collector shoes like the class 71 & 73 locomotives but instead of a pantograph for alternative traction, they had an onboard diesel engine like the 73s to allow them to operate out of 3rd rail territory.

Hope this helps
Brian

Post by Brian »

Some Southern Region 1960/1970 images....

Class 71 E5009 on Golden Arrow dutes. Image at Dover Marine Station

Class 73 73142 at Folkestone on VOSE duties. Image at Folkestone East

MLV 68004 at Folkestone Harbour. (MLV = Motor Luggage Van)

Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
hunslet

Post by hunslet »

In the early 60's Triang produced under the "Minic" brand a garden railway of 10.1/4" gauge.
The loco was an E5000 class electric which used to pass the Triang works apparently. There were also Pullman and toast rack coaches .
This website of the Triang Minic narrow gauge railway explains more,

http://www.tmnr.co.uk/

White I was still at school in the early 60's I was told by my father who was a coal merchant that one of his customers was looking for a driver for a miniature railway which was to be installed at the local Zoo.
I was interested and helped on the railway at weekends and school holidays. The layout was a large oval with a garden shed and platform at one side.
The train was covered with a large "Box" when not used.
The original locos were intended for private use and had the control switch mounted on the loco and it had one motor.
The "professional" version had two motors and control was from the track side shed like a giant 2-rail model railway.
The original controller was a two or three speed switch which did not make for smooth starts and was soon replaced by a fairground type multi-stud and resistance type which was much better.
I helped on the railway for some years but eventually it wore out and was ( I think) given to a children's home.
Hope this is of interest, Colin.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Remarkable!