Hi Everyone

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
DaleKB

Hi Everyone

Post by DaleKB »

Hi,

I am new to the world of model railways, it's something I have had an outside interest in for a long time, but haven't really had the time (due to my main hobby) but have now got a bit more free time, so decided it's now or never.

Having started to have a look what's available, all I can say is wow, so much choice, going to take it one decision at a time, first one is OO or N, probably leaning towards OO but going to go to a local model shop and see what I think about N gauge as don't remember every seeing any in real life.
second decision is to buy a set or start from scratch.

all the best and I am sure I will be busy asking lots of questions.

Cheers,
Dale
Brian

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by Brian »

Hi Dale,

Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy your visits and gain much information.

As for scale dont forget there is now RTR (Ready to Run) TT:120 which is roughly half way between OO and N

We look forward to reading more posts from you.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Welcome to the friendly forum and a very addictive hobby.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Welcome to the forum - you'll encounter many questions that you feel are 'stupid' or 'silly' - they aren't the only questions that are stupid or silly are the unasked ones!

Your budget will probably determine the choice between starting from scratch or buying a 'train set'. You will also need to decide on the space you're prepared (or allowed) to utilise. This will determine to some extent the scale. You'll need a platform for the track as well as the track and rolling stock. If you're interested in doing scenery you'll also need some tools for that, eventually.

Good luck with your decisions - not all of them will end up being the 'right' decision for you, but you can learn from your mistakes!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Welcome Dale - this is a great forum with lots of help and information. Choosing which scale to model will probably depend on the space you have available. I model 00 and had a 10x7 room available - so run an end-to-end layout around three sides of the room. I felt as I got older N might be to small, but as Brian mentioned TT120 has recently been released, which I might have chosen had it been available ten years ago. Whatever you choose - have fun - and remember there is no rush - take your time.
DaleKB

Post by DaleKB »

thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Lots of decisions to make and so many choices (in a good way), first stop a visit to a local model shop, then work out how much space I will have available (probably 8' x 4').

The modelling side is a big aspect for me as well, really looking forward to creating a miniature world.

Also would I be correct in saying that DCC is the way to go?

thanks,
Dale
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

If your starting from scratch I would say DCC is the way to go. If you have a late model mobile phone have a look at the new Hornby HM7000 range. One important aspect, when starting, is to read and do some research on what you want, I do not think rushing out and buying "a set" is the best way to go. Once you have worked out the size of space you have available (you mentioned 8x4) - will your layout be a permanent set-up or one that has to be put away? Everyone on this forum wanted to see a train running on their layout as soon as they could, but patience is a virtue.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I prefer DC as am one of those modellers who started off with DC, went full out into DCC and later due to budgeting circumstances and due to missing DC wiring and operation so much (Love the feel of "Clunky" switches), that I had to go back to DC!

But hey! Both are good! Both have a place! Both have advantages and dissadvantages! Actually have a redundant DCC system which I only use on rare occasions to check and program my remaining collection of DCC locos before they find new homes, so it will probably end up for sale and replaced with more DC...

But both are good. Whatever you prefer. I actually recommend going to an exhibition or a model railway club and spending time trying out a few DCC and DC controllers on layouts to see what you end up liking, as it is a personal choice, and even with DCC or DC there are different controllers that themselves are advanced or simple so the choice in either can have plenty of avenues to explore! Is about finding what works for you, and the best way of finding is to try them out!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

As MG says, do lots of research before you make decisions re: scale, era etc. Visits to exhibitions and reading magazines is the way to go. Certainly as you get older the larger scales are easier to see/work with. I went dcc from the start as it seemed easier to wire up. I don’t regret this decision but don’t let anyone tell you it’s two wires only as it’s not. I model OO which I enjoy. After starting I purchased a large shed and if I had known I would probably have gone for O gauge but it would have been an end to end as lots of room is needed for a roundy roundy. One day I’ve promised that I’ll have a dabble with O gauge - just a micro though. Enjoy your modelling whatever you choose to do.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Welcome Dale. Welcome to the forum. look forward to seeing your plans. May I suggest that you look at the room size you have available then plan the lay to fit the room. The bigger the better. If you only have a small space then may be N gauge may be a good choice. but if you have a larger room then go for a bigger layout and may be TT or OO gauge would be better.
Sandy