Class 142 pacer, cannot find spare parts

Post here items relating to Hornby. Including all their subsidiary makes.
TomW2000

Class 142 pacer, cannot find spare parts

Post by TomW2000 »

Hi all,

I have a 2008 class 142 pacer, which is missing the two wheel contacts on the cab end of the dummy car, and as a result, has poor running, I have tried cleaning the track/wheels, and searching all the popular spares websites such as Peters spares, and can see they have been on sale, however, are now no longer in stock. I have also tried using the DCC concepts wiper contacts, however I cannot see any way of fitting the contacts to the unit without modifying them, or putting them in a position that is dangerously close to the track. I now ask, would anyone have an old, for spares pacer that they are willing to remove the one set of contacts from, and send to me, please? I will cover postage plus cost if required.

Tom

Re: Class 142 pacer, cannot find spare parts

Post by 508035 »

Hi TomW2000

Could you post a picture please, I'm wondering if an idea I have might be possible.

It sounds like a repair request video I saw on the OOBILL youtube channel where Bill repaired a 142 with bad running issues and I think 1 of the videos was a 142 with a single motor.

I think it is possible to convert the unpowered coach into a powered coach by purchasing a motor and wheelset which I think is available from New Modellers Shop and adding pickups to contact both wheels should be fairly easy to do.

It may also be possible to hard wire the power collectors so that if you do twin motor the unit, both motors will get the same amount of power.

It might be worth looking at the powered coach to see how to pickup arrangement is set up and possibly try to copy that arrangement in the unpowered coach.

Hope this helps.
TomW2000

Post by TomW2000 »

508035 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 4:17 pm Hi TomW2000

Could you post a picture please, I'm wondering if an idea I have might be possible.

It sounds like a repair request video I saw on the OOBILL youtube channel where Bill repaired a 142 with bad running issues and I think 1 of the videos was a 142 with a single motor.

I think it is possible to convert the unpowered coach into a powered coach by purchasing a motor and wheelset which I think is available from New Modellers Shop and adding pickups to contact both wheels should be fairly easy to do.

It may also be possible to hard wire the power collectors so that if you do twin motor the unit, both motors will get the same amount of power.

It might be worth looking at the powered coach to see how to pickup arrangement is set up and possibly try to copy that arrangement in the unpowered coach.

Hope this helps.
Hi, as for actually running, the unit is fine, it's just when it runs over points it comes to a sudden halt, I have also posted this in the Hornby forum, where they have suggested purchasing and using some spare contacts for the older, British made pacers, which I will try installing, if this still doesn't work, then your method may well be the next best fix.

Tom

Post by 508035 »

The good thing with the 142 motor bogie is that it has no traction tyres so both wheels can be wired up for power collection.

Granted its not a 142 but just 2 days ago I added extra pickups ( self made ) to a hornby class 91 ( old ringfield version ) which has 2 ringfield motor castings that were converted to cd motors.

The insulated wheels required pickups to allow 8 wheel pickup aswell as drive. I ended up causing a dead short on 1 of the motors as it was fitted 180° out from what I should have done. Consequently when I tried to wire that particular motor the way I would wire a ringfield I goofed up.

Despite the issue, the loco now has 8 wheel drive and power collection whereas with your 142, if you can fit a 2nd motor assembly at the currently unpowered end and wire the 2 motors + rear power pickups together you will have 4 wheel drive and 8 wheel pickup but it will be worth it in the end.