Montgreenan

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Hound Dog

Montgreenan

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi,

I haven't posted anything on my first layout build since the formation of the new forum, but very slowly I am starting to see a collection of boards and track begin to morph into something I hope will be a layout...….After two years of planning, joinery and frustration ( oh and wiring, lots of wiring), I now have all the track down and most of the kinks ironed out ( or at least solutions identified and on the job list), and so I am now starting to enjoy and identify new skills needed to add some colour and substance to my "layout".

Attached are some photos of recently built platforms ( Metcalfe kits with additional 2mm mount board topping), Metcalfe station building with modified green lead roofing ( to cover an 11th hour glue stain - still needs some work on the colour, but not too bad), and my new pride and joy, my platform footbridge ( built from a LCUT Creative wooden laser cut design) - based on the time spent on the paint job, I could have fabricated the real thing, and whilst very pleased with the result, the plan for another similar bridge at the other end of the platforms has been put on the back burner.

I also thought it might be fun to show the old and new ( well it was at the time) rolling stock on the Edinburgh - Glasgow push pull services, including the new DBSO recently acquired from these nice people at Sheffield.

Lots and lots still to do, but I am hoping that the forthcoming holidays will afford the opportunity to weather my track and explore the world of ballasting for the first time...……...will try to keep the updates more regular, but in the interim I would welcome any comments / feedback from the more experienced modellers out there.

Thanks Richard
JohnSmithUK

Re: Montgreenan

Post by JohnSmithUK »

The paint job on that bridge looks great.
mijj

Post by mijj »

That looks good. I agree that the paint job on the bridge looks great. I know where to send mine now :D .
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

mijj wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am That looks good. I agree that the paint job on the bridge looks great. I know where to send mine now :D .
Jim.
LOL - I’ll paint your bridge if you can do my ballasting, deal ?
mijj

Post by mijj »

Hound Dog wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:06 pm
mijj wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:39 am That looks good. I agree that the paint job on the bridge looks great. I know where to send mine now :D .
Jim.
I'll plead sick also can't leave SWMBO. Both of us have spent a week in hospital. It gets in the way of everything. That is a nicely done bridge though.
Jim
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

mijj wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:20 pm
Hound Dog wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:06 pm
Jim.
I'll plead sick also can't leave SWMBO. Both of us have spent a week in hospital. It gets in the way of everything. That is a nicely done bridge though.
Jim
Sorry to hear about you and your wife being poorly - hope you both feel better and can enjoy the Christmas and New Year festivities.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

With the arrival of my new Baby Deltic today, it seemed only right to stable it with the only other loco presently destined for my forthcoming Railway Heritage Centre, the Flying Scotsman...…..will be a while before I can put any work into this section of my layout as the priority is the mainline station at the other side, but as a BR Blue man I thought it would be good to set them out and get used to the idea of other era's of traction...……...I have my eye on a Maroon Warship or Western to compliment them both, but need to see if I can divert any Xmas money that may be received ( and which is meant to be spent on jumpers and socks etc) towards the Railway fund.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Socks and Trains
A good compromise would be to buy the socks ( cheap and they are useful) and skip the jumpers (I'll bet if you search at the back of your wardrobe, you'll find a few that you had forgotten that you have). Of course, that leaves the cash for some trains. Ian Alan
Chops

Post by Chops »

Nice work, completely unique. My first thought was of how it captures the intimate relationship Britains have with
their passenger service, unlike here (to my chagrin). Clever how your worked in the Heritage Center.
Hound Dog

Re: Montgreenan Station 30-12-18

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi,

Been very busy these past few days and managed to make good progress on Montgreenan station, especially with the bay platform which was slightly lengthened to take a 4 coach push-pull Scotrail service, whilst a Hydraulic Buffer Stop was also fitted...….I had looked around for a suitable buffer stop for a while but kept finding myself coming back to the very basic and cheap one from Hornby, which I felt I could detail and fit a real light to and for a few quid it was worth a shot ………….after several unsatisfactory paint jobs, I suddenly hit on using the same colours as on my footbridge and with the addition of a set of Gaugemaster lights ( finished with a custom made collar from the end of a biro pen), I am very pleased with the end result ...…...added a small retaining wall built from some left overs from the Metcalfe platform kit, although some additional detailing, weathering and finishing is still required.

Although still pretty basic compared to many seasoned modellers, I can start to see the layout becoming a bit more than boards and track......hope you enjoy the pictures………...will post another separated update shortly on my new Parcels Office ( due to 3 picture limit)……..thanks Richard
Last edited by Hound Dog on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.