DCC Controller

ConnorL

DCC Controller

Post by ConnorL »

Hi all,

I’ve decided to make the move to start my layout using DCC, It will be a brand new layout 9 ft x 6 ft in the loft.

I’m a beginner when it comes to layouts as this will be my first “proper” layout as such so unsure on the best controller to use for my first one.

In terms of money spending on a new controller, I’m looking at buying a second hand controller on eBay to try and save some money as I need to buy decoders for my existing locos.

I was looking at the Hornby select which I know is far from the best controller out there but can get it for around £50 on eBay and could be a good starter controller to get going? I’m looking at around 3/4 lines with only around 2/3 locos.

Another controller I was looking at is the gaugemaster prodigy express which is £120+ on eBay but know it has more options for me.

Which controller would you suggest and does the price of the gaugemaster worth it in terms of the benefits compared to the Hornby select?

Thanks
RogerB

Re: DCC Controller

Post by RogerB »

No contest Connor - if you can run to it the Gaugemaster is widely accepted as one of the better DCC controllers. You will quickly tire of the limitations of the Select [even with the intended upgrade]. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Without hesitation, the Gaugemaster Express.
Please note the GM Express cannot operate accessories such as point motors. For that you would need the GM Prodigy Advanced or the GM PA handset.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

Brian wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 pm Without hesitation, the Gaugemaster Express.
Please note the GM Express cannot operate accessories such as point motors. For that you would need the GM Prodigy Advanced or the GM PA handset.
Thanks to both for your reply, looks like a solid response for the gaugemaster. What’s the biggest positives this has compared to the select for example?

Also, not planning on point motors yet but thank you for the advice.

Connor
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I have had both the Select and the Prodigy.
The Select was a good introduction to DCC but I sold it within a month as I soon found its limits. I now have two Prodigies, one for each layout, and cannot fault them. One I bought secondhand needing repair, which Gaugemaster did free of charge.
Can’t go wrong with that.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
ConnorL

Post by ConnorL »

Steve M wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 pm I have had both the Select and the Prodigy.
The Select was a good introduction to DCC but I sold it within a month as I soon found its limits. I now have two Prodigies, one for each layout, and cannot fault them. One I bought secondhand needing repair, which Gaugemaster did free of charge.
Can’t go wrong with that.
Yes that is another big positive, the free repairs. I’ll have to go with the gaugemaster.

Thanks
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

They’ve never advertised the lifetime guarantee on their DCC products but i’ve Ever known them to come up short.
I don’t believe you will regret the choice.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Miles Away

Post by Miles Away »

Steve M wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 pm They’ve never advertised the lifetime guarantee on their DCC products......
...because there isn't one.

Unlike with Gaugemaster's own brand, analogue (DC) controllers, there is no lifetime guarantee on the Gaugemaster branded digital products.
Mostly because the Gaugemaster DCC systems and associated add-ons and accessories, are not actually Gaugemaster products, but are bought in from another DCC brand but with Gaugemaster branding printed on (i.e. badge engineered).

However, anecdotal evidence suggests Gaugemaster are generally quite relaxed about out of warranty repairs on these DCC systems.

p.s. I think it's only a 1 year Guarantee on the Prodigy range ...I'll have to check.

Miles