Dapol oo Gauge Class 22 Decoder problem

Cornishboy13

Dapol oo Gauge Class 22 Decoder problem

Post by Cornishboy13 »

Ok I give up and seem to be going around in circles so any help that anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

I've bought a new Dapol Class 22 and fitted a Lenz Silver 21+ decoder, mainly because I wanted the shuttle facility. I've used a similar decoder in my Dapol Class 121 and everything worked fine, but in this Class 22 everything works apart from the lights. They seem to be all over the place!

I've changed CVs 33, 34, 35. 36, 51 and 52 as per Dapols installation sheet but with no success.

The directional lighting doesn't work (white in both directions on F0 when going forward and correct in the other direction) - (on F1 both ends red when going forward and in reverse white in front but nothing at the rear?) The other functions don't work the lights properly F5 works a cab light, but F4 doesn't work the other end.

Dapol recommend their own Dapol Imperium 21 pin 6 function decoder - is that the only one that will work in this Class 22? If so, I'll purchase one, but before I lay out more money I'd appreciate anyone,s thoughts on the matter.

Clive
brian1951

Re: Dapol oo Gauge Class 22 Decoder problem

Post by brian1951 »

Yes you do need a 6 function decoder the lenz is only a 4 function, the dapol one works but shop around they can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Hattons now do a 21 pin 6 function decoder,( im yet to try one )
Cornishboy13

Post by Cornishboy13 »

Thanks Brian.

I focused so much on getting a decoder with a "shuttle" facility that I completely forgot about the number of functions needed. I'll stick with the Dapol Imperium, if only because being the same manufacturer I would expect it to work ok.

As you say shopping around they do vary in price.

The upside is that I have a spare decoder now - might as well by another loco! lol

Thanks again.

Clive
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Clive, dont forget to reset your Lenz decoder before you fit it to another loco. :)
RFS

Post by RFS »

brian1951 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 pm Yes you do need a 6 function decoder the lenz is only a 4 function, the dapol one works but shop around they can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Hattons now do a 21 pin 6 function decoder,( im yet to try one )
The Lenz Silver 21 decoder has 5 functions. Lighting functions are F0 (front and rear, counts as 2 functions), F1 and F2. F5 will work a cab light/interior lights if fitted which you have found. F3 and F4 are for speed control functions and do not operate any lights.

With F0 the lights should reverse automatically, eg white at the front red at the rear. I do not know how Dapol have wired this loco but that operation is pretty standard. You say you only have front and rear lights + cab lights? Then F1 and F2 may be used to control which come on. In my Bachmann 4-TC, for example, F0 controls the front/rear lights and F5 the interior lights. F1 determines whether the lights come on at one end, and F2 the other. This is so that when the unit is coupled to a loco, the lights at the end facing the loco can be switched off.

I would suggest resetting the decoder, turning on F0 and then playing with F1 and F2. Do the instructions have any mention of the lights? I suspect Dapol only recommend their decoder because, well it's theirs!
Robert Smith
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Mr Smith the loco needs a 6 function decoder to work correctly, the Lenz silver + is a 5 function BUT a 6 is needed for all lights to work correctly.
Cornishboy13

Post by Cornishboy13 »

Thanks again Brian.

Surprising how it all works correctly when you fit the correct 6 function decoder! lol.

Whilst on the subject of decoders, I was just wondering if there was anyway that a Lenz 21+ or indeed this new Dapol Imperium decoder can be programmed to store Speed 128.

I can change to 128, but as soon as I turn the power off to the layout and turn the power back on, I then have to adjust these decoders back to 128 speed using the Control, Control Select feature on my ZTC.

It's not the end of the world, but the locomotives with Bachmann & Gaugemaster decoders just seem to remember that they're on Speed Step 128 so just carry on happily.

Am I trying to do the impossible?

Regards

Clive
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

128 speed is usually controlled with your controller not the decoder Clive.