The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanAlan

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by IanAlan »

Yes WTD, it was good fun. Much better than fiddling with a computer or paper. Like yourself RogerB, I still spent a lot of time thinking things over and changing stuff around.

I should mention that the layout is DC. As previously said, the base board has to lean against a wall in the loft when we have guests sleeping over. That limited the size because of an unfortunately placed radiator and the sloping ceiling.

What I've squeezed into the board is as follows:

There are three circuits of Hornby track. One each of first, second and third radious. Inside the first radious is a half circle of more first radious. There's also a siding from the first radious circuit ( where the double engine shed is located). The first and second radious circuits are linked by standard points ( one set on each long side). The second and third radious circuits are linked by curved points located on the short sides ( in the old photo, only the left one is in place). I've used insulated fishplates between the points, so that each of the three circuits is independently powered by its own controller ( cheap Hornby models).

Now here's where the fun begins. Outside of that is another circuit made of old Triang track (I spent ages down the garden cleaning it bit by bit). This is also third radious. On the left of the photo, a track branches off and goes around the edges of the board to the 'pier' at bottom right. To right of the Shankly island platform, a track rejoins the Triang third radious circuit. In the photo not all of the Triang track is joined, but it's an old photo.

The Hornby track and Triang track are not connected. I wanted to use some Triang track because I have a couple of old locomotives that are said to run better on the old style track because of their wheel flanges, and because I didn't want to buy too much new track. :lol:
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I am still changing things occasionally. It’s a case of wouldn’t it be good if I could go from there to there without going through there.
Nurse, the screens!
Halsted

Post by Halsted »

RogerB wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 am You'll probably find that quite a few layouts develop like that, despite folk [like me] spending ages planning, thinking, prevaricating etc. R-
I totally agree with that... :oops:

Many thanks IanAlan for the overwiew of your layout.
IanS

Post by IanS »

IanAlan wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:02 pm
The Hornby track and Triang track are not connected. I wanted to use some Triang track because I have a couple of old locomotives that are said to run better on the old style track because of their wheel flanges, and because I didn't want to buy too much new track. :lol:
It may be useful to connect them (I saw a video on *tube) by butchering a point to connect them.

As always on the *tube it seemed an easy proposition to use a 'converter track R476' and a saw to cut it down for one part of a point and to bend one part slightly to match the curve of point. I'll look for the video but don't hold out much hope of finding it amongst the millions out there!

EDIT I found first mention of it - at 7:50 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQH-LzBIL0

and the full video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jtGttYY27A
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi IanS,
Many thanks for the suggestion and I would be interested to see how it's done, but, in truth, I'm not really bothered that the two parts are separate. I've read many times on the forum that it's best to keep layouts simple and mine already has a lot of points in a small space and tight radius curves. I'm, therefore, reluctant to add any more complications.

Looking at the 18 month old aerial photo in post 27, the track and boats on the (right-hand) Gdynia side of the layout were actually closer to the final plan than the current layout. The river emptying into the bay, and the pier can be clearly seen. Now imagine a long thin detachable board added to the right with goods shed and small crane on a platform, coal office with strathes (these are already made and on the current layout), dockside crane, electric pylons, coaling tower (bought but not made) station building and offices (future Christmas presents to myself :D ). Very industrial.

Enough chitchat, let's have some photos.

glencairn

Post by glencairn »

A mix of little four wheeled coaches and some 'big stuff'. Looks like a lot of fun.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi again IanS,
I've just watched the relevant part of the first video and I'm afraid to say that it looks well beyond my technical ability. If I tried it, I suspect that it would be a derailment waiting to happen. That said, it's always nice to see other people's layouts and that one is very pleasing on the eye, so many thanks again for your kind help, Ian Alan.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

On the subject of trying things out and changing them around, here's some historical photos from over two years ago immediately after the base board was contructed. Note my use of coloured paper to try out scenic features and foam to create height.

You can see that I was nearly there when I took these photos, but that was the final stages of six months of playing around with track.

It's been a bit of a surprise to me to see the old photos and I can now appreciate how far the layout has developed. I had felt that I've made painfully slow progress on it, but now I can that this was an illusion.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

The next step was to glue a layer of 3mm cork (from a roll) onto the base board before painting on the 'ballast', grass, roads and water. These photos are from about 20 months ago. I've included an ACTION photo because I like to see (and 'feel') movement.

Eagle-eyed viewers may have noticed that the Airfix engine sheds have since changed colour to a biegey-grey. My late father gave me the GLOSS red enamel paint for the brickwork when I was a boy.

A few of my boats can be seen. I bought these on holiday at the Polish seaside two years ago. They are souvenirs and they originally had stickers with the name of the seaside town on them. They are die-cast metal and the smallest cost a pound and the biggest three pounds. I ended up buying EIGHT of them! :roll:

The set of points near the maroon locomotive (Old Faithful) in the first two photos has been removed from the layout.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Here are three more historical photos.

Having found out that my British Railways locomotive is a B17, I've kind of started thinking of it as "Flying Fortress". I've got the 'Flying Scotsman', so why not the 'Flying Fortress'? Here's a portrait.

And a lot of trains.

And a portrait of the Caledonian Express. The 'Little Blue Train' was responsible for getting me interested in model railways again after a forty-plus year break. The train set was bought for my son as a Christmas present by my brother-in-law. Cheers Kevin! The set came with this locomotive, one blue four-wheel coach and one grey 'Edinburgh' open wagon (examples in foreground). I've added to this, of course. I'm rather pleased with the coal loads that I scratch built.