Basic Tools for the Modeller.

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Mountain Goat

Basic Tools for the Modeller.

Post by Mountain Goat »

For anyone new who wants to have a go at kit or scratchbuilding along with other jobs associated with model railways, consider the following list...
A soldering iron and solid stand, and solder. (At least 25watt though I prefer a 40watt iron. Leaded solder flows better).
Small files. Can be found in a pound shop or a budget shop.
Mini vice. Keep a look out in pound shops or similar shops.
Small screwdrivers. Budget shops...
Minidrill and tools. Buy a good one if you can. A mini drill stand is also a good idea.
Small plier set.
A small steel rule.
Junior hacksaw
Scissors
Super glue and other glues.
Set square is useful.

While I may have left a few items out, this list is enough to start with. The most expensive bit is the minidrill and tools. A stand isn't essential but it helps.
Most of the other items can be purchase cheaply.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Walkingthedog

Re: Basic Tools for the Modeller.

Post by Walkingthedog »

Just trying to think of anything else MG. I must say I would recommend buying good files and screwdrivers, not cheap ones.

Edit: just thought of the missing item, a craft knife and Stanley (type) knife.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Plasters. :lol:

‘Helping hands’ are very useful when soldering small items.
A good source of light.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Wire cutters seem to be missing off the list, mainly for cutting wires but also used for cutting track.
Many prefer to have two cutters one for wires and one for track.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

If you have Xuron track cutters, superb, never use them to cut wire, it ruins them, I have an old pair to prove the point. :(
Nurse, the screens!
Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

A continuity meter. The ones electricians use to check if a wire is live. I have one which detects voltage at 240 AC 15volts A.C. 12 volts D.C. All it does is light up if you put the probes on two live points such as one on each rail. Cheaper than a meter, smaller and you don't have to read a dial. Great for checking point frogs and bad track
Peter
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

I suppose I am a tool addict and I collect tools much as I collect model railways! I have eight aluminium 'flight cases' which are choc full of modelling tools, six plastic and three steel toolboxes full of DIY household and motoring tools and eight plastic cases each with a power tool enclosed. Despite this I still struggle to find the right size screwdriver or drill bit! My trouble is that if I go into a tool shop I see something different and buy it. What makes matters worse is that Aldi and Lidl stock tools now and again. I probably need counselling! :lol:
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

We have a proper iron mongers in a small garden centre near us where you can buy a single nail or nut and bolt. They have fantastic tools. I often wander around looking for tools I don’t need, and always find something.

My son had all his power tools stolen from his van again a few months ago. A mate of his lent him his tools that he didn’t need any more until the insurance came through. He then told my son he could keep the tools. Guess who has then now.

LC you don’t need counselling, it is people who don’t collect tools that need that.
Nurse, the screens!
mijj

Post by mijj »

WTD sai
"LC you don’t need counselling, it is people who don’t collect tools that need that".

Thanks for posting that said I, breathing a sigh of relief :lol: .
dtb

Post by dtb »

Walkingthedog wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:01 am If you have Xuron track cutters, superb, never use them to cut wire, it ruins them, I have an old pair to prove the point. :(
I snapped one of the jaws trying that, the girls rabbit managed to trap it's foot in the cage so it was the obvious choice.