Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
bulleidboy

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by bulleidboy »

I've noticed that a number of "bits" are just push-fit. I recently removed the front coupling hook (deliberately) from a Merchant Navy Class - it needed a pair of tweezers. When it went back, a spot of PVA went into the hole first. Couldn't the manufacturer do this?
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

That would double the price Barry. :D

My last pre-order from last year arrived today - GWR Dean Single, Achilles - and it’s being returned to Hornby this afternoon.

Started the running in process to find that the gears were slipping in one direction. A little investigation revealed that the screws holding the motor retaining plate have been overtightened and have stripped the threads in the chassis. The result is no pressure on the plate allowing a very small amount of vertical movement in the motor - result, slipping gears.

Shame really as it’s a handsome looking loco even with the slightly toned down RailRoad painting - it should respond well to some detailing.........eventually.

A mod that may be needed is to beef up the wiring to the pickups. All the power is collected from the bogie wheels and the trailing axle, and those wires look very fragile. Could be a fatigue point as they flex with movement of the front bogie.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I suppose Hornby could always go into supplying loco's in kit form - build it yourself. The Hornby Forum could have a new section "What's Missing"! :D
Chops

Post by Chops »

Does anyone know about the availability of the re-release of the Hornby Stephenson's Rocket? I can't find any availability on the web, but
somewhere someone mentioned acquiring it. I have given up trying to repower my old Triang Rocket and will likely sell it off for parts, but
I'd really like to get my hands on the new one.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

Hornby has issued the Rocket set in two distinct packaging, the first is in replica red Tri-ang box which is a limited edition, and has sold out with some being sold on Ebay at inflated prices, but also as a train pack, not limited edition, in a yellow pack, which also seems to have sold out, but may be found with some dealers.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
sandy

Post by sandy »

Chops wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:56 pm Does anyone know about the availability of the re-release of the Hornby Stephenson's Rocket? I can't find any availability on the web, but
somewhere someone mentioned acquiring it. I have given up trying to repower my old Triang Rocket and will likely sell it off for parts, but
I'd really like to get my hands on the new one.
I don't know as I don't have one of these old rockets Chops. Why don't you take motor out of the loco and just run it freewheel and fit motor into one of the coaches to drive the train.
I quite fancy one of the latest editions myself but seem to have missed out as they seem sold out. But expect there may be more later in the year.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Fit a motor in the coach? Could be done but the coaches are tiny.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

I remember seeing an advert for a nice little motor with wheel assembly ready to go made for fitting into a coach or wagon for this very reason. Trouble is I can't remember where I saw it. You had to cut hole out in the floor of the coach. Easy. And fit pick-ups I guess.
Sandy
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

SPUDs were designed for that sort of conversion, but apparently difficult to convert to DCC.

I just bought some of these from www.brimal.co.uk - excellent service - ordered yesterday and turned up in this mornings post.

The junction boards were less than a fiver and the IR sensors less than 50p each.

You can use the junction boards either to connect your DCC track droppers to your power bus or to connect up to 18 accessory decoders to an accessory or track bus.

The IR sensors will be used for loco detection - one day.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Walkingthedog wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:20 am Fit a motor in the coach? Could be done but the coaches are tiny.
rocket repair 2.jpg
Precisely what I've attempted, but the motor stands about 3 mm too tall.