Woodworking Advice Please

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Tricky Dicky

Re: Woodworking Advice Please

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Newel posts are normally attached to the stringer which is the length of timber that runs the full length of the stairs into which all the treads and risers fit. The end of the stringer normally has a tenon which fits into a mortice in the newel post and the post is secured with a couple of dowels passing through the tenon this is usually a dry fix with no glue. The dowel holes in the mortise and tenon are slightly off set so that as the dowels are hammered in they pull the joint tight.

What often happens over time is that the newel develops a wobble in line with the stairs the cause of which is pressure applied to the post makes the dowel holes enlarge or worst still cause a section of the tenon to break at the dowel hole towards the end of the tenon.

You really do not want to hear what a proper fix would entail. However, if it were my stairwell, I would try a few screws through the post and tenon on the good side of the tenon nearer to the shoulder where the stringer meets the post. Not too many screws 2-3 should be enough.

Richard
sandy

Re: Woodworking Advice Please

Post by sandy »

Hello tricky. As I have said I am going to leave it to a qualified Chippy when I can get one. I was under the stairs last year doing some wiring and saw how the joists run near the post in question and it looked to me that it was fixed to the joist which the top of the stairs were fixed to. Next to the stringer not fixed the stringer of the staircase. This balustrade runs along the landing and is not part of the staircase. But as stated I am going to leave it to a proper chippy to do the job.
Thank you for all your advice Men...........
Sandy