CURVED POINTS

Help with designing your track work
Mike Parkes

Re: CURVED POINTS

Post by Mike Parkes »

Model Rail some issues back now referenced the problem with setrack curved points is that a curved rail at one location on the point has a companion straight rail leading to slight gauge narrowing causing locos/trains to slow/ stick or derail.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I had two Hornby curved point some time back. Nothing but trouble. Stayed clear of them ever since (any make).

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Ron S

Post by Ron S »

I have 3 types of curved turnouts- handmade, Peco & Tillig & have no problems with them.
Ron

NCE DCC, 00 scale, very loosely based on GWR
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

I am going to have to put my hand in my pocket and purchase some Peco Setrack curved points otherwise I will not be able to get around the curve in question. Why do Peco only do the ST244/245 in Insulfrog????
Ron S

Post by Ron S »

Why not ask them ?
I would guess that they would say. "Setrack is for those who run trains at a bit of speed & not slow running so Insulfrog works OK at speed."
Even Hornby turnouts are Insulfrog.
Ron

NCE DCC, 00 scale, very loosely based on GWR
IanS

Post by IanS »

Look for SL-E86 and Sl-E87 which are both electrofrog curved points.
There are a number of other radius curved points, some in HO scale. SL-E186 is an example of a different point although I can't tell you what the difference is! Their track-plan link is to the SL-E86

I can't speak to how well they work, or their availability at present, but it does seem that they are now manufactured/sold.

https://peco-uk.com/collections/track/oo-ho-16-5mm
Brian

Post by Brian »

Refer to my post #7 on page 1 of this discussion, where I give the difference between Hornby and Peco Setrack and Peco Streamline curved points.. Streamline curve (radius) is huge compared to Hornby or Peco Setrack curved points - R8074/R8075 or Peco Setrack ST-244/ST-245.
Peco Streamline are not a direct drop in replacement with any Setrack or Hornby points.
Streamline whole range is to a far larger footprint and to a much greater radius, regardless of whether Insulated frog SL-86 or SL-87 or Electrofrog versions SL-E86/87 or even SL-E186/E187. All these Streamline curved points are to the same footprint and radius. Note; SL-E186/187 are Code 75 rail profile while the others... SL-86/87 and SL-E86/E87 are Code 100 rail. But all the curved Streamline types whether Code 100 or Code 75 have exactly the same footprint in OO scale.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

I spent yesterday afternoon trying to re-jig part of my proposed track plan to incorporate SL-86 & 87 and I think I have managed it. However none of the big retailers appear to have any stock at the moment.
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments re curved points.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

These have them as do several others

https://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?rou ... uct_id=227
Nurse, the screens!