Wrinkled Backscene

Help with layout scenics
Walkingthedog

Re: Wrinkled Backscene

Post by Walkingthedog »

He recommended foamboard but it’s up to us what we use. Can’t blame him if it isn’t perfect.
Nurse, the screens!
one man and his dog

Post by one man and his dog »

Free to a good home, id backscenes, approximately 10 feet by 15" in two sheets.

203 Village B
207 Hills and Dales B
207 Hills and Dales C
230 Old Mill Town B (Small bit, I used most if it)
242 Harvest Hills

If you are interested let me know and I'll post them to you.
sandy

Post by sandy »

I have not done my back scene yet but one chap advised on here that double sided tape starting one each corner and work along top and bottom edges. Only small piece every few feet. (streach it across) That sounds a good idea to me I am going to try doing it that way. But I still have to get some ply to use to do that job.
I was going to use polycel but been advised against that idea.
I am just started laying track at moment.
Sandy
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

I was (am) that chap who used double sided tape. The only thing I would add here is that my layout is in a spare bedroom with a fairly constant temperature throughout the year. I understand that the problem layout in question is situated in a loft and ,as others say, subject to a large range of temperatures and humidity. I cannot say in all honesty how the tape solution would perform in those conditions. BTW I used the wide carpet tape as I presumed that would be the strongest.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
one man and his dog

Post by one man and his dog »

I've ordered some paper backscene from Gaugemaster. I'll have a look at it when it arrives and I may take it to a decorators merchant for advice on the best glue to use. I'll let you know how I get on.
sandy

Post by sandy »

Sorry TWD I should have said it was you but the method has been mentioned by others as well. That was why I did not give credit to one person.
I have not done my backscene yet but I am going with double sided tape to try it out. The only problem with the method as far as I can see, is if there are curved parts or curving around corners. I would think glue is the only way to do that.
Sandy
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

For what’s it’s worth, my backscene on Shaddeholme is the Gaugemaster printed sheets stuck with PVA to 3mm MDF. No wrinkles or bubbles .
On the other hand the backscene for Low Ghyll used the same 3mm MDF but this time painted with acrylics. No bubbles or wrinkles, just a very poor artist. :D
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)