Farish starter set with EZ controller?

Mississippi Bullfrog

Farish starter set with EZ controller?

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog »

I am a total beginner just starting to plan a N gauge small layout - needs to fit in a 60"x30" board. Looking towards 3rd & 4th radius curves which if I've calculated right should fit.

I am hoping for a double loop with a couple of crossovers and some points so nothing elaborate. I think I'd like to start with DCC so I can run a couple of locos. The Graham Farish starter set - Castle Pullman has caught my eye as it is fitted for sound. I know the track included is 2nd radius but I can use those curves elsewhere sometime.

My questions are:

Is starting DCC for a small simple layout worth it?

Is the EZ controller included with the set suitable for a small layout?

Is buying a starter set like this sensible or is it better to buy separates - though I can't see that loco available other than as a set?

I will add lighting, point controls and probably other bits but plan to operate them separately from the main controller. So the EZ would be used for the locos only.
brian1951

Re: Farish starter set with EZ controller?

Post by brian1951 »

The EZ controller is a very basic Dcc unit, if your just going to have a small layout with a couple of loops i would go with DC control, sound in n gauge does not do anything for me its ok in OO or O gauges but not N. ( just my own personal likes ). The money that set sells for could be more wisely spent IMHO.
Mississippi Bullfrog

Post by Mississippi Bullfrog »

brian1951 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:33 pm The EZ controller is a very basic Dcc unit, if your just going to have a small layout with a couple of loops i would go with DC control, sound in n gauge does not do anything for me its ok in OO or O gauges but not N. ( just my own personal likes ). The money that set sells for could be more wisely spent IMHO.
That's the kind of advice I am looking for. Thank you.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

there have been a few problems, in the past, with Farish locos, as i am sure there are with other makes, but if i was starting up now, i would look at both Arnold, and Dapol.
rogerdee490th

Post by rogerdee490th »

I had a starter set with the warship loco. I had a number of problems with the controller eating the decoder and cooking the motor of some locos changed to a NCE controller and not looked back. If you can afford it go for a better controller.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

What I suggest is that you SHOULD go for DCC, but not yet. I think the set you mention is expensive and as others have said you could spend your money in better ways.

If it was me, I would get:

Peco N Gauge Starter Track Set
A 2nd hand DC controller off eBay
A nice little brand new pannier tank.
A couple of pre-owned carriages also courtesy of eBay.

That could get you up and running for under £200. Then you build your layout with future upgrading to DCC in mind.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS