LBSC Van - Cardboard

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Bandit Mick

Re: LBSC Van - Cardboard

Post by Bandit Mick »

Superb. Amazing stuff. An O gauge wagon must be about £40! I’d be interested to know the cost of yours Jim if you don’t mind me asking.
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello Barry and Hello Mick,

Thanks for the nice comments very good of you both.
All I've bought is the wheels from Invertrain about £9 I do buy 4 at a time so with the postage it's probably about £10 per pair.

Cheers - J

[edit] It's not going to look anything like a kit or RTR though, but from a reasonable distance they look quite good.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

Very impressive Jim. Cardboard looks superb. Looking forward to seeing it in paint.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello LC&DR,

Thanks for your comment it's very kind of you.
As for the paint 'me too' the thought of doing it fills me with dread :-) Such is life, I've got 4 wagons that I am slowly making.

Andy Brown sent me some PDF's and amongst them was this

Lovely! I'll just have to make it.

Cheers - J
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Excellent modelling there. I was most impressed with the axlebox assemblies!

I was thinking. You are so good at using card, can you make card wheels too? (May or may not work but it may be worth a try just to see if you can just for the one wagon to test the idea? I am not saying you should try this. It is just an idea that it could save you money if you found a way to do it).

I love your card wagons!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello MG,

Thank you for saying that good of you.

I worked for a small precision work holding company, Slaters were one of our customers, first time I went, I noticed the immaculate machines, in particular an EMI-MEC 'S' from the 1960's, My goodness I said I bet you have some trouble with that, they have a bad reputation.

Every Friday afternoon they would stop and clean the machines, the bloke said he wouldn't have the job otherwise, take it or leave it, the relays in the 'S' are just above the spindle nose, lots of other companies use Suds oil the steam would get into the relay chamber and it wasn't long before a smelly puddle had formed and the relays would fail taking the the diode matrix with them.

He insisted on using cutting oil, which he filtered and used again a few times, no steam no problem coupled with the cleaning meant no breakdowns.

What I'm getting around to is; how do you make the steel tyres for the wheels, he showed me one, I said ahh you do these on the CNC's then, no he said taking me over to the 'S' and to cap it all he was using a form tool, I could scarcely believe it. I asked thinking about card wheels if they would sell me some tyres, sadly no.

I carried that wheel in my pocket for years and showed it to people with EMI-MEC's they wouldn't believe it and carried on with the Suds oil and their machines were rusty.

Cheers - J
Cardboard john

Post by Cardboard john »

Hi jim just found you on this site hope that you are well john