Bachmann Dynamis controller

Stevechilds33

Bachmann Dynamis controller

Post by Stevechilds33 »

Can anyone offer advice on the following. I have the Bachmann Dynamis controller which has been back to Bachmann twice in the past 2 months due to the signal from the handset to the base unit dropping out. They replaced the base unit as it was faulty but the new one did the same. They say they have tested it for an hour with no drop out. It drops out all the time on may layout. There is only 6 spot lights in the shed housing the layout and the only other thing near the base unit is a old dc controller for the points motors and the cdu unit. Can anyone think what is causing this problem.
hope for some advice Steve c
Brian

Re: Bachmann Dynamis controller

Post by Brian »

Try as an experiment, turning off all lighting in the room. OK it means being in the dark, but then check the Dynamis works or not?
If it works correctly then your room lighting is interfering with the IR (Infra Red) signal hand set to base station.
Are you 100% sure your base station has unobstructed view all the time of the Dynamis handset? Any loss of Infra red vison will cause problems.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

What sort of spot lights, halogen or led.As Brian says some lighting can interfere with IR. You can often see IR Tx flashing if you look at it through a phone or tablet camera.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

I don't know this controller but can you fit a remote IR sensor to it, which could be placed somehere visible from all parts of layout but shielded from ambient lighting?
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Stevechilds33

Post by Stevechilds33 »

Thanks for the comments, have tried with lights off and placing the base unit on top of some wood to make it a bit higher that the shelf it sits on. This has not changed the fact that the signal drops out even with the handset a foot away from the base unit. It appears from comments i have read on the different forums that this is a common problem with this system although Bachmann don't agree. I will have to consider going to a different system that can run 3/4 locos at the same time any suggestions on best system would be helpfull.
Thanks again for the comments.
Miles Away

Post by Miles Away »

Have you tried changing the IR channel?

The factory default is channel 0, but you can change this to one of channels 1, 2 & 3