Why don't they make ... ?

A place where you can describe your model railway wished for items that are not currently available.
Walkingthedog

Re: Why don't they make ... ?

Post by Walkingthedog »

Our nearest line is Chiltern and Metropolitan. It is very unattractive from Amersham where the Metro starts. Just looks untidy.
Nurse, the screens!
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

London Underground is unfortunately generally ignored by the model manufacturing sectors.

Hornby turned out its 1971 version of a 57xx 0-6-0 Pannier in what was supposed to be London Transport livery way back in 1978 although the colour was dire. Self coloured plastic and much too pale.

Bachmann has since done a better job, with their much more accurate model in 2007 and 2011, and it was sold in a set with a brake van and a couple of wagons in LTE livery.

12 of the 57xx class were purchased by LT from BR to work infrastructure engineering trains during the 1960s and lasted until the end of steam in 1971.

EFE made a model in diecast metal of both the 1938 and 1960 tube stock. These were un-motorised but a motorising kit could be purchased from Branchlines. Subsequently Bachmann have acquired the tooling and have promised a properly motorised version under their EFE brand name which is now awaited. Given the speed of Bachmann in introducing new models I suspect it will be a few years into the future.

Many Many years ago (early 1950s) the Ever-Ready battery company made a tube train set, with three coaches running on a circle of three rail track. The model was to say the least crude in extreme and operated on 4.5 volts, from, you guessed it, a battery control box.

In 2015 the London Transport Museum in London's Covent Garden commissioned Bachmann to make the LT 'S' stock train in 4mm scale. This was sold from the Museum shop as a limited edition.

Because London Transport is a discrete system, and the trains never go more than 50 miles from the Capital I believe manufacturers are nervous that they will not recover the cost of tooling because it niche market. (This hasn't stopped them tooling up the LNER P2 class or the APT!)

There are a few kit manufactures who make kits for various LT models. Not least are Radley Models in Hampshire who make kits for tube trains, battery locos and vintage locomotives and coaches.

Personally I would love to see some LT models ready to run, especially the O / P / Q / R surface stock, but I guess I shall have to continue to daydream.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
tigger449

Post by tigger449 »

It all depends which parts (and eras) of the network you want to represent. There is some spectacular civil engineering on the network and the complexities of some stations is staggering. As for the deep tube lines, I'm sure one could find a way to display them...
GeoffAlan2

Post by GeoffAlan2 »

PeterBalcombe wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:28 am A small turntable / turntable kit for OO

The currently available items / kits are all for large turntables which look out of place and take up far too much space on many of our layouts. Please we don’t all want to turn the Flying Scotsman complete with two tenders! A 60 foot (24mm) table would be more than adequate for many of our purposes. :)
Surely 240mm?
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Is this any good LC&DR?

Nurse, the screens!
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

Hi WTD,

That looks like one of the Bachmann ones. The basic GWR 57xx model is good and Bachmann has applied the LTE livery well.

Before LT acquired these they used a rather attractive former Metropolitan Railway fleet of 0-4-4T and 0-6-2T. One of the 0-4-4T has been preserved as Metropolitan No. 1 (renumbered LT L44 when they took over the Met).

The preserved Metropolitan No 1 is here at Rickmansworth.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It’s the Dapol O gauge version. Sorry LC I should have added that.
Nurse, the screens!
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

The Dapol panniers are also very good, I have a black one which has been fitted with sound.