Fixing backscene

Help with layout scenics
cheshire lines

Re: Fixing backscene

Post by cheshire lines »

Brian wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:24 pm I would secure any backscene to a pre sealed and securely fixed rear board by using a spray mount adhesive. Wall paper paste is really too wet. Tape will slowly come away. Other adhesives may over time cause issues.
I've used the spray adhesive method for my backscenes on both sides of my layout without any problems.
The Peco backscene on one side has been in place for about 8 years and the ID photographic on on the other side has been in place for about 18 months.

I found it easier to lay the board down flat on a bench in my garage (with the doors open for ventilation) when fixing the backscene and I used a soft dry cloth to gently press it down and eliminate any creases etc.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Looking at Puddles' backscene in Post 7, I notice that he's curved it around a corner, so that there isn't any angle showing. It looks very good.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

For what it is worth, I believe the secret is the same as successful wallpapering, in that you have to first use a lining paper - for sure you might get the odd wrinkle with the lining paper but these can be easily rectified before applying the backscene........I have used this approach with success a few times now.

Cheers - Richard
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Have desided to give spray adheasive a go. Will let you know how I get on.
There seems to be so many spray adheasives on the market I wonder if anyone who has used this method before for back scene has a prefered brand.
Sandy
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I’ve not used it for backscene but I have used one of the sprays from 3M when makiing some card laminates for buildings.
They have different properties but one that is initially repositionable but permanent when dry would suit.

I think someone said earlier, start from the middle of the sheet and work outwards.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thanks Steve
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

New Backscene was ordered and looked at adheasives to fix it. Thought of using spray adheasive but found out the some spray adheasives stripped paint and as I had painted the ply board I was fixing backscene to I desided to try PVA slightly watered down.
After the desarster of the last back scene fixing job I was little worried.
Backscene arrived and I plucked up courage to start fixing it down. I poored some PVA into small pot and added few drops of water.
Stiff but nice brushable mix.
Lined up the backscene so it rolled out corectly and brushed PVA on the ply wood thinly for the first 6 inches and fixed the first piece down and clamped it down with piece of 12 mm ply using clamps and left to dry. After cup of tea finished off sticking down the backscene about 1 foot at a time firming it down with wallpaper brush. This went very well with just few small ripples which dissapeared as everything dried out.
I'm a happy bunny now. Thanks for all your help.
Sandy