Micro drill bits

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Nowhere man

Micro drill bits

Post by Nowhere man »

Lidl have micro drill bits on sale today 10 drills in a pack, there are 3packs 0.3-1.2,1.1-2.0, 2.1-3.0. £4.99 per pack
yelrow

Re: Micro drill bits

Post by yelrow »

i bought them last year. Good value, happen you are aware of incredible, fragility. they snap if you apply too much power or pressure. I have only broken the one, solved problem by using a micro drill, prozon, or similar. fine then.
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Nowhere man wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:03 am Lidl have micro drill bits on sale today 10 drills in a pack, there are 3packs 0.3-1.2,1.1-2.0, 2.1-3.0. £4.99 per pack
Any idea what the shaft diameter is as 3mm will fit a Dremel collet otherwise for a Dremel you would have to use the adjustable chuck which is not the most accurate device?

Richard
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

TD, they fit my dremel which has a 90degree head fitted. I have 2 diameter sanding kits one dremel, and one parkside, which are thicker shafts. They just go into collett, and run well. Have a care about running too fast. drills ok, but you get what you pay for.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Better a cheap drill bit then no drill bit. Is a price that if just one or two survive and work one is not loosing out too much so is good.

My experience is that even expensive ones snap.

As long as the drill bits do not melt on themselves like some cheap larger drillbits I once bought for my larger drill... They were supposed to be good for metal. No chance! But those were not bought from the same shop and surprizingly I paid what good ones would cost to get them which is why I was surprized that they were cheap.
Lidl and Aldi stuff I have found to be good. Maybe not the best but more then adiquate for most things. Only a few things I would avoid and that is the Lidl bicycle track pump for home workshop use which is just too cheaply made to be any good. Ok, it pumps tyres but will not stand much abuse and nor will it pump them that quickly either.
One needs to pay out £40 to £50 and get a good one of those. But other things these shops sell are really good. It took me ten years of looking to find a pair of gloves that fit my hands for cycling in and it was Lidl that I found some. They are for jogging rather than cycling as I have not succeeded in getting the right gloves foe my long fingers in their cycling gloves, as when they do come in the large size I need goes before I can get there so other people have long fingers too! I worked for a fair few years in a few bicycle shops and only once ever had another pair of full fingered gloves that fit me and they lasted three years before I wore them out.
One day I will get a pair. My Mum has knitted me some in the past but when I have come off and my hand hits the floor one ends up with tiny wool fibres in ones hands so they are not ideal and wool on my skin does not do well. Itchy!
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

MG, agree , thats why i bought them, a couple of years ago. The point i was making was to run them slowly. I use mine for drilling holes in ply fro dropping down wires. Perfection, would be a very light drill to put them into. I have spent many hours looking for one of these, hence Pxozon, ( or similar) one. I have a c, ordless AEG 12 volt, small drill, and or Dremel, but they really are too heavy for these tiny drill bits. The set comes with a hand turning accessory, lightweight bit holder, which i cant get on with.
Nowhere man

Post by Nowhere man »

The shaft measures 3mm if i could work out how to add a picture i would do.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Just click Add Image to post in the bottom left hand corner of the reply box. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

unless they have changed these drills, i can vouch that they will fit my dremel I also, dont know how to post a picture.
Nowhere man

Post by Nowhere man »

I raised on up so you can see shaft size