Very basic questions about digital sets

Ianace

Very basic questions about digital sets

Post by Ianace »

Hello all,

These may seem like very silly questions, just to add I have never used Digital before at all. All my stuff is very old analogue kit.(1960s to 80s stuff)

I have been given a Virgin Pendolino digital set(R1076), I am trying to set it up for a school club. There are no instructions with it!

Have set it up the best I can, all seems to be complete. I have wired up the controller(R82130) as best I could.

The loco moves around the train VERY slowly with the wires connected in the A/B slots on the back of the controller. The speed dial seems to have no affect what every setting I put it on. The STOP button works, but the only way to get the loco to move again is to unplug and plug it in again.

I tried the wires in the other port, that seemed to speed the train up, still no control from the main dial and the display flashed "ES" so I stopped doing that.

Anyone offer any insight?

It could be that the loco needs a service...

A couple of other question, could I use analogue locos on the track? I guess the digital controller will not work with them.
I have noticed that the tracks still have holes in them to put power clips in them.
RAF96

Re: Very basic questions about digital sets

Post by RAF96 »

It is assumed the Pendo has a decoder fitted and that you have given this an address using the Select between 1 and 59.
You can run one DC loco (as Loco Zero) on a DCC track but it is not recommended. You will hear the motor protest by buzzing when you simply place the loco on a DCC track. The motor is likely to burn out if left there for any length of time.
You should connect your track to the Track A and B terminals, never the Aux 15v terminals which are for powering signals or points.
One other thing - what is the firmware revision state of your Select. Check the first 2-digit number seen as it starts up, this will be followed by 30 then 03. This number will be between 10 and 16 or may be 20. If not 16 or 20 you can arrange to have it updated by returnto works at Hornby for about £15 - well worth the money for the extra features.
cadman

Post by cadman »

@Ianace........welcome to the Forum. The speed control knob on the Select does not behave like a regular indexed control. You have to spin it around to get to the required speed. Give a try and I think you will see what I mean.......HB
Sorry I'm late but I couldn't get my flip-flops to work :roll:
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

cadman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm @Ianace........welcome to the Forum. The speed control knob on the Select does not behave like a regular indexed control. You have to spin it around to get to the required speed. Give a try and I think you will see what I mean.......HB
That is not correct. It's the Elite that has that feature.
cadman

Post by cadman »

Thanks for the correction Rog(RJ), I'll get me coat!! :oops:
Sorry I'm late but I couldn't get my flip-flops to work :roll:
Ianace

Post by Ianace »

Thank you all for your help and information.