Street Road Base

Help with layout scenics
PomDave

Street Road Base

Post by PomDave »

Hi all,

I'd be interested to know what other modellers use on their layouts for street roads. Currently I use paper images which are OK up to a point but they tend to fade and come unstuck after a while. I did think about using fine sand and painting it but haven't gone down that path yet.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.
RogerB

Re: Street Road Base

Post by RogerB »

On my last layout I used fine grit wet and dry paper with talc brushed over it. It gives a slightly uneven streaky finish which I think looks good. That is for a tarmac type surface. I haven’t laid any roads yet on my current layout. R-

Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I have used two methods.

The first is to use a Rustoleum ‘old iron’ spray to give a slightly gestured, speckled tarmac - it’s on all my platform surfaces. It does need a dusting with either weathering powders or an airbrush to take off the sheen though.

For rural surfaces I sprinkle a mix of plaster powder and playpit sand onto brushed on PVA then wet it all with dilute PVA (as with ballasting). Before it completely dries I paint it with Woodlands scenic asphalt paint or a mix of their earth, ochre and black scenic paints.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Another option, if you can get it, is to use Redutex street sheets. It is self-adhesive and comes a variety of detailed finishes (including drains) - and looks weathered - it's not cheap. https://redutex.com/en/
I had an email from Rails of Sheffield this week - they have just had a huge delivery of Redutex products

ImageIMG_0900 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
ImageIMG_0627 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr
Last edited by bulleidboy on Sat May 14, 2022 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I also use fine wet and dry paper. I then dry brush using a range of greys made from acrylic paints. Water colour pencils slightly dampened and used lightly gave an impression of a centre line if needed.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

P.S. If you look at my box file layout Bleak Moor Quarry Shed in the layout section you can see the effect I got. Hope this helps.
PomDave

Post by PomDave »

Hi All,

Wet/Dry paper, never gave it a thought, and I have some in my shed!!

As for the Redutex sheets, yes they are expensive, but it's the postage that's the real killer. For the price some people want for stuff, I'd expect delivery within 24 hrs.

Thanks for your time.

Best Rgds,
Dave R.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

I have redone my roads using the lining wallpaper which is cut to size and then sprayed with Rustoleum Old Iron (as per Steve M) in order to create a speckled tarmac effect, before sticking down with PVA.

Very pleased with the outcome and the beauty is that I can make roads to any peculiar shape / length as reqd to meet my specific layout requirements, and of course touch up if they get subsequently marked in any way.