Diesels at Crown Point.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
glencairn

Re: Diesels at Crown Point.

Post by glencairn »

Matt Summers is still in the garden. Will he ever tidy the garden? Maybe not. He stilll likes to watch trains.
Class 55 55016 'Gordon Highlander' passes on its way to Crown Point Yard. Class 25 25218 is in the Yard behind.
IMG_2232.JPG

At the other end of the layout a Class 58 58001 with a train of 'hoppers' from Balm Road Quarry Yard heads north past Wyndham Farm.
IMG_2233.JPG

The afternoon Dewsbury Market Place to Leeds Central DMU is running early, so is held at the signal to Calls Junction whilst the Class 121 Seacroft to Leeds Central has right of way.
IMG_2237.JPG

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Wonderful.

The storyline adds to the pictures.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

IanS wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:47 am Wonderful.

The storyline adds to the pictures.
Thank you IanS. I like to have a reason why trains etc. are where they are.

The late afternoon Leeds central to Wakefield Kirkgate DMU waits at the Junction signal as a Seacroft to Leeds Central Class 121 clears the Section.
IMG_2235.JPG
Class 47 47299 'Ariadne' waits at the signal for clearance to leave Crown Point Yard. The 45t crane rests in the Yard awaiting for its next turn of duty. Behind 'Ariadne' is J.H. Thompson Timber Merchants.
IMG_2241.JPG

In real life sometimes British Railways would pay the Post office to add a passenger carriage to the back of a Postal/Parcel Train. I once travelled on one such train. Running such trains adds a little more variety to operational running.

Here is one such occassion. A short Up Postal from Leeds Central to Doncaster with a passenger coach seen here at The Calls Junction. (The Postal carriages would join the Up Newcastle to London Postal Train at Doncaster.)
IMG_2242.JPG

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

After the Great War the National Filling Station Number 1 at Barnbow, Leeds closed. In the late 1930s a massive rearmament programme began and Barnbow became a Royal Ordnance Factory. After WW2 production of Centurion Mk11 tanks began. R.O.F. Barnbow continued building tanks and other armoured vehicles into Privatisation. The site was closed in 2004 and is now a housing estate.

In our model world it is early 1970s. A goods train passes through Leeds Sovereign Street Station bound for R.O. F. Barnbow.
IMG_2243.JPG
The same train nears the Junction.
IMG_2244.JPG

Class 50s very rarely made it to Leeds, but some did on occasion. (I have a picture of one such time. The joy of research.)

Here Class 47 47402 Gateshead with a two coach Leeds Central to York local waits at the signal, whilst a late Plymouth to Leeds Central train clears the Junction. Class 50 50036 Victorious is in charge.

IMG_2245.JPG

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Youngest grandson's final day of running trains.

Approaching Roseville Station.
IMG_2314.JPG
Having fun just running diesels.
IMG_2315 (1).JPG
Running a quarry train.
IMG_2316.JPG

He has now gone home, so 'normal services' can continue. :)

Glencairn
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Your grandson is a lucky boy - running diesels together sounds a lot of fun !
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hound Dog wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:21 am Your grandson is a lucky boy - running diesels together sounds a lot of fun !
My grandchildren (five of them. Three boys and two girls) have been running trains on the layout since they were three year old. Some may think I was mad to allow that. They did break some of the scenery, but it was easily repairable. I never was angry with them. Now they are older they ask to be in the train room. I can leave them to operate things by themselves. They just run trains the way they want.

One day we will be able to run trains to a timetable; either steam or diesel. Until then 'who cares'. :D

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Get them involved. They become involved. A present from my grandchildren. A little overscale, but so what. :)
IMG_2327.JPG
It clears 'any obstacles'. :lol:
IMG_2318.JPG
A scene at Leeds Sovereign Street Station. Women in the Forces. :)
IMG_2328.JPG
Glencairn
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Did have a few of those tanks and vehicles that I purchased about 20 years ago to keep my brother amused. He has actually recently sold the last few along with soldiers etc via Ebay. He abandoned trains when in his mid teens as he loved other things.

You mentioned your grandchildren. Is the good thing about older trains in that they will take a few knocks. Doubt some of todays finely detailed trains would do that, but is understandable as tiny details can be vunerable.
Lima and Hornby (Going back a couple of decades) were good for that as they made them with young and old in mind.
Some modern models I dare not touch and I am an adult! :D Marvel at the detail though.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Chops

Post by Chops »

Diesels at Crown Point are at it again! Charming and unique. Pardon to say, hope those tanks are headed East.