Hornby GWR County Class tender

themusicman

Hornby GWR County Class tender

Post by themusicman »

I wanted to service the motor on my Churchward County Class which is in the tender. I have searched YouTube but not found any help in how you get the body off the chassis and, in my enthusiasm, I am in danger of damaging a perfectly good model. Can someone enlighten me? It’s a 4-4-0 County of Bedford R.392. The maintenance sheet that came with it covers everything I need to do except getting the body off!
Rog (RJ)

Re: Hornby GWR County Class tender

Post by Rog (RJ) »

On many tenders the top just pulls off upwards. Sometimes there is a small hole at the front where a small screwdriver can be inserted to carefully lever the top up. Another trick is hiding fixing screws under the NEM coupling, so you have to remove the coupling to get at it. Sometimes there are screws deep down small holes in the corners of the chassis. HTH.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have not had the exact model, but usually the tender tops are clipped on as if I recall, the model first came out in the 1979 catalogue and it was typical to use clip on tender tops on tender drive locos around then. One may just see the little tabs from underneath on some tender drive tenders. Try very gently squeezing the body near the tenders chassis to see if any visible tabs can be seen. (I say gently so you won't damage anything). No doubt you have tried this though. Normally tabs are on the front and rear of the body if I recall correctly with older Hornby tender drive locos so shifting the body backwards or forwards slightly if there is enough "Give" may expose the tabs, but not always. The Hornby County is the one loco I always wanted when growing up and was into GWR but never did get hold of one! Was either out of production when I had the money or in production when I didn't, and the rare chance one came secondhand I missed the opportunity. Is a bit like Hornby Dublo 3 rail turntables. All sellers say "I have just sold one of those" but no one has one when I could afford one, and when I couldn't afford one they were for sale everywhere! Been looking for one at the times I had the funds for 30 years! Haha! Not sure I want one now! :D
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
themusicman

Post by themusicman »

Thanks. I found the clips eventually - and have removed the tender body now. The clips made a very strong link and, unless you are prepared to do some damage - are difficult to open. Now I’ve found them it will be easy next time!