Baseboard materials?

All posts regarding baseboard construction
Bandit Mick

Re: Baseboard materials?

Post by Bandit Mick »

I got mine from Wickes - better quality than B&Q. I braced it well ie over-engineered some would say and it’s been fine. I sealed it with some cheap emulsion paint.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Bandit Mick wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:52 am I got mine from Wickes - better quality than B&Q. I braced it well ie over-engineered some would say and it’s been fine. I sealed it with some cheap emulsion paint.
Yes, the Wickes ply is definitely superior to that from B&Q, and a similar price. Unfortunately none of my local Wickes stores have a cutting service and buying it in half sheets to fit in the car is a lot more expensive. Of course, if you have the ability to cut it accurately at home, the Wickes delivery service is pretty good.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
sandy

Post by sandy »

jamespetts wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:52 pm Thank you all. To clarify - my woodworking skills are not up to making baseboards, so I will be having them made. My N gauge layout was built by Professional Layout Services, which is the supplier that tells me that there are significant difficulties in getting serviceable plywood.

As to plywood types - I note the issue apropos far eastern ply. I believe that Baltic birch is precisely the type that is currently unavailable. Has anyone tried poplar ply?
At there prices I would learn a bit about building my own, I did and it is quite easy stuff. It is only getting the confidence together James.
Sandy
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi James - I know you have used PLS in the past, but have you tried other board manufacturers? I used Model Railway Solutions in Poole and they were first class. Probably not the cheapest, but the quality was first class, and the boards come in kit form, and really are very easy to put together. Have a look at their site. There is a very comprehensive range of boards available. Barry
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

White Rose have a good reputation I believe. I think they are in Bedale, North Yorkshire.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Bandit Mick wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:45 am White Rose have a good reputation I believe. I think they are in Bedale, North Yorkshire.
I used Whote Rose last year. They are very strong but I did have a little difficulty building them because the joints are such a tight fit. I'd still recommend them though.

I'm thinking of building a mini layout for a small 009 project and currently looking at Scalemodel Scenery. They use MDF rather than ply but don't make "normal" size boards, but OK for mini layouts and dioramas if anyone else is interested.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

Thank you all - that is very kind. PLS fitted and installed my baseboards when they were put in in 2018. I anticipate that building baseboards from a kit would be very difficult for the 00 gauge layout as it will need to be installed on spur shelving brackets. I really have no aptitude for or interest in woodwork.

I will be talking to the chap from PLS at the Warley exhibition, which he will be attending. I shall see what the position is once I have done that.

Edit: I note that the MRS website state that they do not currently supply any bespoke items.
twalton1145

Post by twalton1145 »

Hi James,
My Dad was a carpenter/joiner, but sadly I had none of his skills, and made my living as a pen pusher. However, even with my limited ability as a "wood butcher", I managed to construct my baseboards and leg supports. As long as you can cut within 1/8th of an inch and have a few basic tools, you should be able to do it and save££££s.
Give it a go!
Ted
twalton1145

Post by twalton1145 »

Excellent stuff here.

www.brian-lambert.co.uk

Ted
jamespetts

Post by jamespetts »

I spoke to the baseboard builder (PLS/Sherwood Models) at Warley. Apparently, the birch ply situation is easing, albeit cost is higher, and he is optimistic that it will be possible to commence construction in the new year.