Hornby Dublo/Wrenn diesel shunter (later class 08) motor problem

Post here items relating to other model railway manufacturers.
mbleasdale

Hornby Dublo/Wrenn diesel shunter (later class 08) motor problem

Post by mbleasdale »

Hello folks, This must have been asked by many people before (apologies if the answer is somewhere on this forum), I have an old Wrenn diesel shunter, and an even older Hornby Dublo one, both of which have developed the dreaded motor "squeek". I`ve given bot of them a light oil (neither have bee properly run for many years to be fair). Then Wrenn one started off ok and ran up and down a 20` length of track I`ve just laid, but during a subsequent run of it the motor developed the above-mentioned problem. The HD one squeeked from the off.

I`ve heard of this problem before but haven`t read of any satisfactory solution (other than withdrawing them and replacing them with Jinties!)

Any advice would be most apprecaited.

Kind regards,

Monte
Steve M

Re: Hornby Dublo/Wrenn diesel shunter (later class 08) motor problem

Post by Steve M »

Have you lubricated the bearings at both ends of the motor shaft? That was the problem with a recon job I did for a friend.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

A tiniest bit of white lithium grease I was told should work. Yet to try it myself as I have oiled them as you have done.... Usually cleaning afterwards when I put a bit too much oil on!
Not touched my Wrenn 08 as bought it in new condition secondhand, a friend had it as I went into DCC but we later swapped locos back as I swapped my Bachmann class 57 for it to get it back with future 0-16.5 potential, and the thing has had such low usage that despite it not being a young model, still has its factory lubrication. Not actually tried it in about ten years and I don't think my friend used it, but it ran supurbly the last time I did try it.
Lithium grease is the white grease sold in bicycle shops, so if specific model grease can't be found, use lithium grease instead...But use only the slightest bit.

Those HD/Wrenn 08's were some of the longest lasting models used daily on a garden railway in all weathers! I remember reading about them in a RM article.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Brian

Post by Brian »

The motor bearings at both ends of the motor where the shaft emerges should have a tiny spot of fine oil specifically made for model lubrication applied to them. DO NOT USE spray lubricants such as WD40 or thicker oils like 3 in1 as these are not suitable for model lubrication. Lithium white grease, again sold for model use, should be applied sparingly to gear cogs.
Also using the thin oil apply tiny spots of oil to all pivots and wheel bearings.
Above all remember the Lubrication Rule... If you can see it (the oil) then its too much! Use a tissue or piece of kitchen paper towel to "Blot off" any surplus lubrication.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website