Breakfast Meeting

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: Breakfast Meeting

Post by Walkingthedog »

Same here TWD, and they wonder why fly tipping has increased
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

cadman wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:13 am Car into garage this morning for major service, MOT and brake fluid change. 6 yrs old, only 22000 miles Skoda Octavia sport estate in immaculate condition. Thought about changing to new electric vehicle but at my age it is not financially viable. 8-)
I think that is the right view to take Howard. I will be seventy six in a months time and drive a twelve year old Volvo XC70 - it has done 89,000 miles, but is in very good condition and is serviced regularly, and if anything needs doing - it gets' done. I had my last Volvo for twenty four years, if the current one last that long, and I'm still here :o and driving, I will be eighty eight. I am all in favour of electric cars, assuming you have a "home" charging point, and possibly only use the car for local or short journeys. I am not yet convinced that the charging infrastructure in the UK is up to scratch. There are many reports of "charging areas" where many of the chargers are not working. I'll worry about it when the time comes.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

went to tip, this afternoon. Arrived. Bonjour, Monsieur, said the man, shaking hands. He opened the boot, and emptied it. I said, Merci Beaucoup, he said, Ne Rien. (its nothing). Always been like this. If you see something you want in the skips, he fishes it out and hands it to you. They have a shop, called, Reclamation. If you think its too good for the skip, and he agrees, its put aside to go to the charity shop. Went there last week, and bought a Henry, (numatic vacuum, warranted, for 3 months, for 20 euros. Thats our second one. Shops huge, run by volunteers. Sells everything, power tools, clothes, furniture. All at give away prices. Way to go.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

At our waste disposal site (the "Tip") you have to go online and book an appointment (thirty minute slots). They do charge for sacks of rubble, but they also have a shop (well it's a container), where anything decent get placed, and you can make an offer. A couple of years ago I bought a brand new white MDF radiator cover, still packaged and sealed - cost me £5 instead of £40. So a good deal. As TWD said, service probably varies depending on the Council.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

One of out tips has a hospice shop.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

i think the shops a great idea. they are all volunteers, all electrical goods are checked and 3 month warranted. They have a van, and will collect from you for a small contribution. Its amazing what people throw away, and here, that is taken care of by giving to the shop.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Over here, in country areas, cars are duel, electric, plus an engine. I dont know anyone with all electric car. Charging points, are few and far between. I have 2 normal cars, and NO intention of going electric. Last vehicle i had that was, was a Sinclair C5.
loftman82

Post by loftman82 »

Supper meeting for me today , had no plans which was good cos thing just kept cropping up sat down at 17.15 had something to eat
We'll meet again,don't know where,don't know when,
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Went for a long walk yesterday in Windsor Great Park. Dogs birthday.

Spent this morning cutting blackthorn. Nasty stuff, attacks you as soon as you get near to it.

Nurse, the screens!
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Decking guys came on Monday, stripped the old boards off, next day started installing the new boards and finished on Wednesday. Cracking job and superb after sales service by Grono. Left me the old but mostly serviceable boards to use for other projects such as making matching planters, moveable dog barrier fencing, etc.