Soldering (Electrical)

Brian

Re: Soldering (Electrical)

Post by Brian »

Hi
2.5mm brass wire? is this 2.5mm2 or are you actually trying to use 2.5mm dia. wire?

Even 2.5mm2 wire stripped from mains cable is very large for droppers. 1.0mm2 is ok and more than ample.

The problem can have multiple causes....
Soldering Iron not producing enough heat - low wattage. 25 watt absolute minimum and higher wattage is better.
Soldering Iron hasn't been allowed to reach full operating temperature - allow 5 minutes for a standard iron
Soldering Iron tip is too small or in poor state. 1.5mm-2.0mm chisel bit is about the smallest needed.
Solder being used is of the Lead-Free type. Try to obtain Lead content solder 60/40 type.
Surface of rail and item to be soldered is not clean. Use a fibre brush etc to 'scrub' the surfaces clean.
Allow time for the iron to pass its heat into the two items being soldered.
Try presoldering both items before placing them together i.e. coat each in a little of the hot solder. Then fit together and wet the irons tip with fresh solder and allow heat to transfer and melt both pre solders. add a little more solder if necessary while the iron is still on the items heating them.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

How many watts is your soldering iron?

Sorry I see you said 25 watts. Think something over 40 is best for track.
Nurse, the screens!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brian wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:11 am Hi
2.5mm brass wire? is this 2.5mm2 or are you actually trying to use 2.5mm dia. wire?

Even 2.5mm2 wire stripped from mains cable is very large for droppers. 1.0mm2 is ok and more than ample.

The problem can have multiple causes....
Soldering Iron not producing enough heat - low wattage. 25 watt absolute minimum and higher wattage is better.
Soldering Iron hasn't been allowed to reach full operating temperature - allow 5 minutes for a standard iron
Soldering Iron tip is too small or in poor state. 1.5mm-2.0mm chisel bit is about the smallest needed.
Solder being used is of the Lead-Free type. Try to obtain Lead content solder 60/40 type.
Surface of rail and item to be soldered is not clean. Use a fibre brush etc to 'scrub' the surfaces clean.
Allow time for the iron to pass its heat into the two items being soldered.
Try presoldering both items before placing them together i.e. coat each in a little of the hot solder. Then fit together and wet the irons tip with fresh solder and allow heat to transfer and melt both pre solders. add a little more solder if necessary while the iron is still on the items heating them.
Thanks for this Brian, point by point if I can:

Yes, that's 2.5 mm diameter wire, I saw this in a DIY superstore, it's about five wires together without any sheath, I guess it's for earthng buildings?
Would 1 mm bell wire do?
My soldering iron has 40-48W output so that should be enough.
That took some practice but I now leave plenty of time for warming - but a good point tho'
The tip is brand new and looks to be in good shape.
Hmm, yes, my solder is lead free. I'll have to try and obtain some 60/40 as you say, not so easy out in the back of buying but I have a trip to a city booked in the next weeks or so.
OK; All of the surfaces are new but I'll try cleaning as well.
How much time? I get tired as it is trying to hold it in position!
That looks like a good tip!

I guess I'll have to wait until I find some 60/40 solder but I've got plenty of other stuff to do and at least I'm soldering the switches for the control panel ...
Brian

Post by Brian »

Simon_100 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:33 am Thanks for this Brian, point by point if I can:

Yes, that's 2.5 mm diameter wire, I saw this in a DIY superstore, it's about five wires together without any sheath, I guess it's for earthng buildings?
Would 1 mm bell wire do? 2.5mm dia is Huge! I guess its not Brass but is actually Copper? TBH one stand would be more than ample for a rail dropper. Bell wire rail to bus wire is fine keeping the length of bell wire as short as practicable and ideally not more than 400mm.
My soldering iron has 40-48W output so that should be enough. Thats good
That took some practice but I now leave plenty of time for warming - but a good point tho' Yes do allow time to heat fully while iron and its tip is heating - make a coffee or cup of tea!
The tip is brand new and looks to be in good shape. Excellent
Hmm, yes, my solder is lead free. I'll have to try and obtain some 60/40 as you say, not so easy out in the back of buying but I have a trip to a city booked in the next weeks or so. You may struggle to find Lead content 60/40 solder but it is still sold and despite what some retailers may say it is not illegal to use on home equipment its only illegal on items that are sold!
OK; All of the surfaces are new but I'll try cleaning as well. The heart of soldering is spotless clean surfaces.
How much time? I get tired as it is trying to hold it in position! Problem is the 2.5mm wire is sucking all the heat out of the irons tip before the iron heating element can replace it. Use one strand or bell wire as suggested earlier.
That looks like a good tip! :D

I guess I'll have to wait until I find some 60/40 solder but I've got plenty of other stuff to do and at least I'm soldering the switches for the control panel ...
Sorry it was easier to place my reply on the end of your text.

You can also try using a flux sold for electrical soldering. It may help heat transfer, but DO NOT use flux that contains acid. That would need washing off after soldering and that's not possible with electrical joints!

If you have access to EU/Spanish eBay look for 60/40 solder but be cautious of items from China. Silverlink 1.0mm 60/40 solder is a good solder, but I'm unsure if that is sold in the EU?
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Brian there is loads of 60/40 on eBay with 2 day delivery. Would you not recommend it?
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:12 am Brian there is loads of 60/40 on eBay with 2 day delivery. Would you not recommend it?
Hi
Yes, I know and that's where I buy mine from, but Simon_100 lives in Catalonia Spain.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Yes I know he does so why did I ask such a stupid question. :oops:
Nurse, the screens!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:12 am Brian there is loads of 60/40 on eBay with 2 day delivery. Would you not recommend it?
Brian wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:32 am Yes, I know and that's where I buy mine from, but Simon_100 lives in Catalonia Spain.
Thanks chaps, of course I've just ordered some with Amazon Prime. Buy my oh my was it hard to find some with lead!

Question, if lead free is pants why do they make it?
Brian

Post by Brian »

AFAIK Lead Free solder is an EU requirement and part of being environmentally friendly.
It works well, but only with solder flow temperatures higher than most domestic soldering iron tips can reach. The exception being soldering irons with adjustable thermostatic settings. Lead content flows at a lower temperature and is OK with all soldering irons.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brian wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 8:42 am AFAIK Lead Free solder is an EU requirement and part of being environmentally friendly.
It works well, but only with solder flow temperatures higher than most domestic soldering iron tips can reach. The exception being soldering irons with adjustable thermostatic settings. Lead content flows at a lower temperature and is OK with all soldering irons.
That's consistent with my experience then. The solder that I do have already says it's melting point is at 260º but I've been setting the iron to 400-50º on advice from a Youtube video.

What's annoying is that the warning light doesn't go off when the thermostat reaches the set temperature - for safety reasons I guess? -so you have no positive idea whether you've attained the right temp!

Hopefully the lead solder won't be as susceptible to heat loss then?

Oh, and of course my 2.5 mm wire is copper not brass - one f these days I'll try to keep more than one fact in my head at a time! What I'll do with 5 metres of 2.5 mm copper filament is another mater, maybe I'll learn brazing and take up sculpture :)