Marklin train set found in loft

Any news relating to modelling, events etc.
jeremyRice

Marklin train set found in loft

Post by jeremyRice »

Hi all I’m after some expert advice if that’s ok.
On clearing out my Dad’s loft I came across his old railway set. It’s a Marklin make and is in very good condition it was bought in the late 60,s and added to in the early 70’s I guess.
All but two trucks are in their original boxes. There is also lots of airfix model houses with the original instruction pictures etc.
There’s 24 metres of track and accessories with layout plans and 4 engines. There is also three transformers
I’ve cataloged every thing and taken pictures.
One thing is... I’m not sure if the engines actually work.
I’ve looked on eBay and individual items all seem to be worth a bit but I was thinking it’s a shame to break up the set and wondered if I could sell it all together

My question is ....I know little about model railways and was wondering how I should go about trying to selling it with out getting ripped off and I joined this site as I thought i’d be able to get some sensible advice.

Yours
Jerry
brian1951

Re: Marklin train set found in loft

Post by brian1951 »

Ebay is the best outlet for your set for various reasons, sell it as you found it, untested and as seen, good pictures will make it sell well. Auction is best.
jeremyRice

Post by jeremyRice »

Thanks Brian.... also not an eBay expert do you put a reserve on it... saw one similar engine at £300.
Jerry
jeremyRice

Post by jeremyRice »

brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Yes a reserve would be sensible, it should sell well looking at your pictures. Ignore any offers before the listing finishes. Good luck.
IanS

Post by IanS »

I would add, take lots of pictures of the locos - especially showing each side, a top view and a view of the wheels and couplers.

Make sure that before uploading that the pictures are the right orientation - ie not rotated or upside down.
Take the track out of the current storage box and at least show one example close up of each type/length/point (turnout) or cross-over. Offer to send more pictures too. You'll be limited by e-bay how many photos you can upload, but do the maximum. Take more and pick the best.