Lights in an old Bachmann Class 42 Warship

A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc.
Del57

Lights in an old Bachmann Class 42 Warship

Post by Del57 »

I had a break from railway modelling for some 20+ years after a move of house, but have been back in the hobby now for coming up tp two years. About 18 months ago I started work on a new layout which I originally intended to be DC, but having seen how far DCC had progressed in the intervening years since I was last active, this is the route I eventually settled on to go.

My original thoughts with regard to going DC was heavily influenced by the fact that I had close to 30 locomotives from the old days, the majority of which would be difficult to convert to DCC (thank you Bachmann split chassis).

One locomotive I was able to convert was a Bachmann Class 42 diesel-hydraulic. This particular model was always a superb and smooth runner, no doubt thanks to its all wheel pickups, all wheel drive and hefty flywheel on the motor. However, compared to modern locomotives it's not particularly well detailed, but for me its running characteristics made up for this.

One area that I did want to change though was the addition of lights. With DC forward and reverse is track relative. With DCC it becomes loco relative and, at a distance, I was struggling to tell the difference between the front and back of the Warship.

Installation of lights wasn't as straightforward as I originally hoped for due to the lack of space between the inside fascia of the body shell and parts of the metal chassis. I resolved this by filing part of the metal chassis away, which just left enough room to install a pair of 3mm LEDs at each end.

As 3mm would be way over scale for lights on this engine, the LEDs do not extend to the exterior of the fascia. Having removed the original painted 'lights' I enlarged the holes to 1.5mm which allowed me to use a very short length of fibre optic cable between the LED and the exterior of the body shell.

If the original plastic painted 'lights' were truly to scale, then even 1.5mm is slightly over scale, but not so oversized that they are really obvious. Ultimately I think the final effect was well and truly worth the effort, and forward and reverse are now easily distinguishable.

*mod note* I don't think your host liked you linking the images like that, as they wouldn't display. I've reuploaded them to postimg and linked them to your post. SD.
Walkingthedog

Re: Lights in an old Bachmann Class 42 Warship

Post by Walkingthedog »

They look good to me. I always liked the Warships.
Nurse, the screens!
Del57

Post by Del57 »

Thank you.

I need to straighten that buffer, and I still have the buffer beam detail to add, but I think it will be fine when all done.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Looks good to me.
Del57

Post by Del57 »

Just as a side note, I used individual LEDs and had to provide appropriate resistors, which were different values for the red and white. If anyone is contemplating a similar project, I'd be happy to provide a diagram showing how it was all wired.
Tarifa

Post by Tarifa »

I carried out a similar modification and took it a step further by fitting an ESU 21 pin adaptor board and sound. Also fitted EE fans and roof grill.

Mike