Help Please

Post here items relating to Heljan.
Hound Dog

Help Please

Post by Hound Dog »

Having recently taken delivery from the Mumford Works of a Maroon liveried Hymek, I intended to fit a DCC sound chip but as usual things did not go to plan……. Firstly the new speaker I bought was just a tad too tall to allow the body to fit fully back in position - no big deal as I knew it was a risk and I had another speaker which was of lower profile.

Sound chip fitted, wiring tided and all buttoned up ….. off to the garage to test and all was good. I later put the loco on the rolling road to run it up and test all the sound features when I noticed one set of wheels were not turning ……. Quickly took the bogey base plate off to check that I hadn’t done anything stupid when I had the wheels out to clean them after its paint job…… of course the bogey base plate snapped whilst prising it off, but this can be easily glued.

All was as it should be except the gears were turning freely whilst they were correctly restrained on the other bogey…… back into the house for a major teardown during which I found the main gear wheel that meshes with the worm gear to be partially stripped of teeth - Argh!…… I guess the eBay seller who claimed it had hardly run was economical with the truth, although to be fair the same gear in the other bogie is pristine by comparison, so it is a strange one.

So far I have drawn a complete blank on trying to source a replacement gear as Gaugemaster ( Heljan’s Uk Spares stockist) do not keep any OO gauge internal gears as “they never fail ! “

Anybody got any ideas or even an old Heljan model they have scrapped for spares ?…….. I am led to believe that Class 26,27 and 33 models have the same configuration.

Appreciate any inputs as I am currently on hold with this repair.

Thanks

Steve M

Re: Help Please

Post by Steve M »

Richard, is there a contact number for the parent company in Denmark. I’ve had a quick look but couldn’t see anything obvious but they do have a Facebook page - presumably you could contact them through that?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

dtb

Post by dtb »

Mumford Works, is that you Steve?

Anyway was looking at a EFE (formerly Heljan) Hymek for Xmas and decided not to bother, went the Accurascale Class 37 instead. Already purchased one last week, so impressed had to get another.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Thanks Steve……..I will reach out to them but judging by the various reviews and comments already on their Facebook page they don’t seem to be terribly interested or engaged on such matters.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I see Peter’s Spares have a small Heljan section. I can’t open the website on my clunky old iPad but worth a look?
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Steve M

Post by Steve M »

brian1951 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:57 pm Very little by the looks, https://www.petersspares.com/c/spares/heljan-spares
When I looked it said 25!
IanS

Post by IanS »

Searching on Amazon I found a few 'plastic gears' - they're quite cheap (under £10) and come in a sets with a variety of sizes and quantities.

It doesn't give a meaningful list of diameters and teeth count, but it maybe worth purchasing the 75 piece set or one of the others.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Gears- ... r=8-8&th=1

(this is not an affiliate link, simply a link from the result of my search).
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

That is odd that spares are not available as they should be.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...