De Caso rides again!

A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc.
RSR Engineer

De Caso rides again!

Post by RSR Engineer »

Good afternoon, gentlemen, after a long radio silence, mainly because there's been virtually nothing to report, I thought you might find this project interesting. I hope so, at any rate.

The objective was to let my JEP 232S run on the layout. There was an abortive project for a centre 3rd rail that I gave up as a bad job a few years go. After my local model shop told me a 2-rail conversion would not be a practical proposition I decided to give the loco her own independent onboard power supply. This is provided by eight AAA batteries wired in series to give 12 volts. The battery holders are carried in the permanently coupled first coach behind the tender. I ran wires from these via a DPDT switch to the loco. There is no speed control. I did ponder this but at first but there wasn't enough space in that coach. The plunger 3rd-rail pickups were taken out of the loco chassis.

Jep products were made by same techniques as 1950s/60s Hornby Dublo. It was thus easy to open up the coach and the loco body is held in place with one screw. To get the wires through to the loco I had to drill holes in places. I kept these to descreet locations to minimise the disfigurement.

The work and its results are documented as always on flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188026976 ... 313310268/

Just one pic on here:

Cheers,
Artur