Track Resistance

lardenr

Track Resistance

Post by lardenr »

Hi, I have had some issues with my inner oval of track. It's DCC, but when running locos they seem to skip a couple of sections, as if the signal is not getting through properly. I have cleaned the track, all very clean, and checked all the track joiners as well, all seem ok. However still one small section is not playing ball. So i decided to use a continuity test(Audible) with my voltmeter. Now with my limited knowledge of electrics, I noticed that every section of track, as soon as you touch 2 adjoining tracks, audible goes ok and the numbers on my voltmeter start out with a 3 digit number, then quickly drop to 000 which I understand is correct. However the 2 track section where I am having the issues, dont drop to 000, alternates between 001-010, so I understand that the 2 tracks are then having some sort of restistance. Would this be the case, and if so any idea what would cause this, perhaps a dropper isnt quite connected properly to the bus wire? I havent got any droppers on the problem track.

Many thanks
Walkingthedog

Re: Track Resistance

Post by Walkingthedog »

It is advisable to have droppers on every section of track.
Nurse, the screens!
lardenr

Post by lardenr »

Thanks, ok will get a dropper on that dodgy section and see if it improves.
Stese

Post by Stese »

The meter should be dropping to 000 or as near as dammit.

It's indicating you've got high resistance somewhere... and it's likely the railjoiners/fishplates adjoining those sections.

As Walkingthedog said, an extra dropper or two will sort this out, but it's possible you can fix it by removing the joiners, cleaning the track ends where they connect the track, and replacing them with new joiners. Make sure they slide on tight, almost as if they'll cut the rail.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.