Wykeham - Somewhere in the south!

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Walkingthedog

Re: Wykeham - Somewhere in the south!

Post by Walkingthedog »

I would imagine they will be very pleased with the lamps.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I must say they look great, your club members should be very pleased with them.

My club shortly will need a number of double arm SR platform lamps. Where did you obtain the LEDs from, I assume they are 0402 warm white style?
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Very, very nice Barry, well done. They will be delighted I'm sure. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Brian wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:36 pm I must say they look great, your club members should be very pleased with them.

My club shortly will need a number of double arm SR platform lamps. Where did you obtain the LEDs from, I assume they are 0402 warm white style?
Brian - Yes they are 0402 warm white (pre-wired). Ebay purchase from China - about £12 for fifty. I have not joined the club yet. I donated some Metcalfe walling to the young members of the club, and showed them a picture of the lights on Wykeham Station, to be promptly asked "could you make us some" - which I was happy to do. I haven't made up my mind whether to join the Club or not - I'm not sure what commitment they would want from me.
Brian

Post by Brian »

bulleidboy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:41 pm Brian - Yes they are 0402 warm white (pre-wired). Ebay purchase from China - about £12 for fifty. I have not joined the club yet. I donated some Metcalfe walling to the young members of the club, and showed them a picture of the lights on Wykeham Station, to be promptly asked "could you make us some" - which I was happy to do. I haven't made up my mind whether to join the Club or not - I'm not sure what commitment they would want from me.
Thanks Barry. I've ordered some LEDs and two packs of Ratio 454 lamps from Cheltenham Models, though they have just advised me they only have one pack of the lamps in stock, but others are on order and would I mind waiting. I don't mind, so I won't be doing any conversions as yet!

As for clubs, all those I have been to and my current club too, do not worry members about coming along. Turn up as and when you want to is the norm. Pay your annual subs and it's your choice on when to go and what to do. :D
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

The new windows have now been fitted and it's time to start putting Wykeham back together - the boards have yet to be reinstated. So time for some small(!!!) jobs - sometime ago Brian (WTD) pointed out that I had not put buffer stops on some of the "run-offs" on the turntable, as access to the turntable is easier at the moment the buffer stops have now been fitted.
ImageIMG_1696 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Next job, as the point operation is going digital - currently some can be operated that way, but I am doing away with the toggle switches and yards of wire - all (7) solenoid point motors are being replaced with Cobalt Digital iP motors.
ImageIMG_1697 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr

Once the boards are back in place I have to relay a few yards of track, ballast and add the 3rd rail (SR :) ) - then the control board needs to be rebuilt. I found a panel mounted Gaugemaster Twin Track controller on ebay - this will be used to control the two turntables, making the H&M Clipper redundant. All point operation will be by push-button. So lots to do.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

A good chance correcting minor errors.
Looking really good. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi Barry, From my post above #1116, I have now received prewired 0402 warm white LEDs from a Chinese supplier and two packs of Ratio 454 concrete lamps. Following your instructions, I have so far drilled 7 shades and fitted seven LEDs Note there are 8 shades in the pack but one took off like a bullet when being cut from the sprue and darned if I can find where its hiding! :o

I have another 454 pack to drill the shades out and fit LEDs to them. then to wire them all along the posts and paint them. :D

Edit Update. Found the errant lampshade and its now drilled and fitted with a LED.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Pretty sure you’ll make light work of it Brian.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Wykeham is slowly coming back to life. Centre board now back in place across the new window, and I hope to get some track laid today. As was mentioned the other day regarding health issues, it was over ten years ago when I started this layout and building the boards etc. - crawling around under boards is not as easy as it was then :(
ImageIMG_1700 by Barry Clayton, on Flickr