Module Connection

MustardBoy

Module Connection

Post by MustardBoy »

Hello!

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this is something that has been talked about before.

For just a little bit of background, I built 2 layouts as a teen, I'm now in my late 20s and have retuned to modelling. I've decided, due to space constraints, to build a microlayout to test out my skills with a 2' by 11" scenic baseboard and an equally sized fiddleyard. The two pieces are to be separate 'modules' with potential to build other modules later on.

The parts of the project I am trying to get my head around are how to build the baseboards themselves and physically connect and align the two but I'll work that out with a few sheets of paper and a pencil. What I wanted to ask about was if anyone had advice on electrically connecting the two. My requirement is for some sort of 'plug and play' universal connection to make it easy to plug in any adjoining module, running DC. I have been looking at these sorts of connectors https://pro.maplin.co.uk/collections/rc-leads but I am usure if any of these are appropriate. Any and all advice on this topic would be appreciated.
Brian

Re: Module Connection

Post by Brian »

Hi
There are several ways to connect base boards together physically and electrically.

Physically, two bolts passing though both boards end timbers and a washer and nut or wing nut used to tighten then up. Suitcase latches which pull the two boards together are a simple and easy alternative. You really need baseboard alinement dowels - Cabinet maker dowels are frequently used - 2 per joint in the end timbers to ensure the two abutting boards always mate together in line correctly.

Electrically, assuming a DC layout you need to determine the number of circuit ways that will pass across the joint. Then use a suitable connector. These can be DIN plugs and sockets, D connectors male and female, plug together terminal strip style connectors, or multi pin Aviation plug and mating socket lastly for smaller number of ways Speakon plugs and socket are very good and especially where DCC is used.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website