New layout.

Help with designing your track work
Nine Elms

New layout.

Post by Nine Elms »

I am planning a new layout and in a quandary as to which type to go for! I would like your thoughts, and pros and cons, on "end to end" or "round and round". I can imaging the first answer will be "it's up to you and how much space you have".
I know it may seem a silly question, but I would like some thoughts before I commit to baseboards etc.

Thanking you in anticipation.

John.
Walkingthedog

Re: New layout.

Post by Walkingthedog »

Not easy to answer unless we know the available space.
Nurse, the screens!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi John - As WTD said, it would be useful to know the space available. I have an end-to-end that runs around three sides of a 10x7 room (lift-up section across the door), which gives me a approx. a twenty seven foot run. It's amazing how quickly a train (loco) covers this distance, even when travelling at a reasonable pace. As the room is seven feet wide, this did allow larger radius curves than 4th radius - I used Peco Streamline Code 75 Flexi-track. At least with a circuit you can have a train(s) running while you do something else. I do have a branch line which has an ABC module, this allows a train to run from one end of the layout to the other and back - all day if I don't turn it off :lol: using the Hornby HM7000 system also allows me to set the time period the loco stops at each end. So I can have movement of the layout while concentrating on something else. The decision is yours.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The OPs question is very unusual in that usually modellers normally have some idea of the space available and what they want to see running!
To try and offer advice without knowing the OPs thoughts is like trying to offer suggestions on which new car they should purchase - How much money is available, what size of car (Scale to be modelled in), what type of propulsion etc (DC or DCC etc)
The question is not answerable without much more information!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Think I would go for a round and round O gauge layout. Rolling stock easier to handle.
Nurse, the screens!