Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO gauge layout

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
footplate1947

Re: Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO gauge layout

Post by footplate1947 »

I see how you get to the middle now..Very well thought out.
Would not work for me as I cant bend down and crawl around like I used to.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

Its certainly not future proof and I am sure I will have to dismantle and design a new one when the time comes!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I love the depth. Well done.
andy757

Post by andy757 »

I'd be interested to know how you made the platforms.
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

andy757 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm I'd be interested to know how you made the platforms.
No worries Andy - very simple really - The platforms are made from 15mm MDF**, topped off with 3mm foamboard. I routed a lip on the edge of the platform overhang, and used embossed styrene for the platform wall glued to the MDF former with Evo-stick. The top was painted grey, covered over with Anita Decor Tree Bark (basically a PVA/Polyfilla gloop mix), and topped with Peco road surface weathering powder which I then sanded down and weathered with various shades of fine grey/white/black weathering powders (Humbrol/Tamiya). The edge paving were carved into the top of the foamboard.

Hope I have explained it well enough for you.

** Note - the height of the platform top should be 12mm above the top of the rail height (in OO gauge). As I used 1/16th cork, plus the hieght of the sleepers and Code 75 rail, I worked out I need 18mm from baseboard to top of the platform surface. This may differ depending on underlay/sleeper depth and rail profile and what you use for the top surface.

Ian
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

Some horses from Dart Castings painted last night and ready for placing in/around the stables. I may decide to rig one up shunting a wagon, but we will see!
southernfan2

Post by southernfan2 »

A Fabulous layout well detailed, the scenery is something I would like to emulate.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hi Ian
What a fantastic idea, I don't think I've ever seen a layout that has even acknowledged the shunting horse let alone any models of them. Well done.
IanLMS

Post by IanLMS »

Thank you for the comments.

I have a spare area on the layout next to the wagon storage sidings and I was looking for something to fill it. I stumbled accross a few pics of shunting horses, the last working one being from Newmarket just down the road from me, so I thought it might make a nice little diorama.

I just need to arrange the stables and huts and work out how I can portray the rigging they used to pull the wagons along. They tended to use chain but it would be so fine, i'm not sure if thread would be better.

The other project I have been working on while clearing my "to-do" box are these rolling stock kits.

The two on the left (12T and Fish van) are from Cambrian Models and the two CCT's are Parkside Dundas kits. These are now ready for weathering which will hide the inaccurate/incorrect decals. The HRMS and the Modelmaster decals I had didnt exaclty match the pictures in the books I was using for reference so I done the best I could. Next time I might try and make some decals using decal paper and my inkjet printer but I need enough to fill an A4 sheet to make it worthwhile printing them.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I love looking at your layout - it just feels so 'right'. More photos please!