What Got You Into Railway Modelling?

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
mijj

Re: What Got You Into Railway Modelling?

Post by mijj »

I had a clockwork set with a brake which was actuated by a black lever on the rail. The following year all I wanted was a cross-over to make a figure of eight. Mother got the wrong angle and the set was given away - I think. Well I do not recall seeing it again. Besides I was more interested in motor bikes then came fuel rationing and that restricted our activities some what. Petrol and paraffin makes the engine run too hot :lol: .
Jim
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
the lewisman

Post by the lewisman »

I got into modelling railways because my 4 year old son caught measles while on holiday in 1975. My wife went shopping in Bournemouth. She returned with a clockwork Triang train set which she bought in a sale which we set up on the promenade and off we went first one way then the other. I still have some of the rolling stock and have never looked back. Does my son still model trains No

Alan the Lewisman
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Woke up one Christmas morning as a kid to find a sack full of Hornby train track and some locos. I still remember the excitement, however, that didn't last long and once my Dada started to enjoy it I never really had the chance to play with it :(

In 2013 I was diagnosed with Tonsil cancer (despite having them removed as a kid). Thankfully everything turned out ok, but the treatment left me with a lot of side effects. One of which is poor memory and my brain doesn't function as quick as it did. I had to give up my beloved motorbike and as well as fishing take up another hobby that was rather more sedate.

I loved model making as a kid, but once a model is made all you can do is look at it! So after a random visit to my Daughters school which hosted a model railway exhibition I was hooked. Interactive modelling... Trouble is after woodworking, wiring and crawling around under baseboards, I'm not so sure sedate is the right word :D
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Cliffyg

Post by Cliffyg »

Seeing pictures of a Canadian pacific train with vista dome cars hmm guessing around 1967 !
dtb

Post by dtb »

My dad, who passed last November :( , he worked for BR at the goods depot and was able to bring home lost / unclaimed items some of which were Dublo / Tri-ang items.

Cheers Dad!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I suppose for many of us the word "dad" is the answer to the question.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Was my dads cousin who introduced me to 00 gauge 2 rail. When I see the way I have phrased the title my grammer wasn't great. I must have been half asleep when I wrote it. At least the thread has been popular. :D
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I jokingly moaned at my good lady that I never had a trainset as a kid and always had to sit in awe of the ‘rich’ kid in the street who had a Hornby Dublo set, so she bought me the Orient Express boxed set for my retirement - and I said then - that is Pandoras box - which has been hoovering away my pension ever since it was opened.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

I had trains, triang, as a child, but they had all long gone, prior to being married. When my first son was borne, i was passing a secondhand shop which was selling some Hornby Dublo, with Dutchess of Atholl, for £10. That was the start.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

I was born into the real world of railways, lived in granddads station house for awhile, so i had a real station and line 5yds away, so models soon followed.