Locomotive advice

LC&DR

Re: Locomotive advice

Post by LC&DR »

WTD

At our club we have a test track for Gauge O with a double track 'main line' and a single track with mixed gauge - 16.5mm gauge, 21mm gauge and 32mm gauge, really handy. So some of our members model US 3' 0" gauge which runs on 21mm and some beautiful (and expensive) models these are, Others have On16.5 locos and stock, mostly hand built on OO chassis, and when they are not running I can run my 32mm Industrials while the other run their kit built B16s and A2s on the main line!

I am still toying with the idea of a On16.5 train to take to the club now and again. Probably find a Hornby 0-4-0 to modify if I can find one that doesn't run like an idiot immediately I turn on the controller. One idea is a double Fairlie with two Hornby mechs inside, perhaps one day, when I can get to a Toyfair again.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Thank you MG and LC. It’s like talking in code.
Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Walkingthedog wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am Thank you MG and LC. It’s like talking in code.
Haha. Ok. To keep things simple, the narrow gauge of 0 gauge runs on 00 gauge width track. Take a look at Smallbrook Studios 0e kits.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

The codes for narrow gauge trains is a nightmare because UK, US and European modellers all seem to use a different one!

The ones that get me are the large scale gauges which run on 32mm or 45mm gauge rails, I gather you can buy the same model but specify which gauge you want to run it on!

I have had a hankering after a model of the 15 inch gauge miniature/narrow gauge railways. I knew a chap who had built a delightful model of the RH&DR "Doctor Syn" which ran on OO gauge track which would have meant a scale 11mm to one foot.

15 inch gauge in O is 8.75 mm which is mighty close to N gauge.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine