Somewhere in Yorkshire

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Chops

Re: Somewhere in Yorkshire

Post by Chops »

Fantastic views of the modern range.
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Thought I'd have another go with the new decoder and stay live, seeing as the original plan was to put it into one of my 08 shunters, I thought before righting the project off I'd have a go with one of my 08s. Not easy to fit a decoder in an 08 let alone a stay alive as well!

After much swearing and mashing of teeth I did manage to get the body back on.
It does seem to run much better than it did in the class 37, no problems with the speed variation and could get it right down to a crawl which I like when shunting. Can't say why it runs better than it did in the 37, maybe something to do with the motors?
Question now is do I get 2 more for my other shunters.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Phil,

If and when they become available again I would thoroughly recommend the Hornby TTS sound decoder for the class 08...... for the money the sound is very respectable and well matched to shunting duties.

I had one fitted in my Class 08 but fried a pcb component due to operator carelessness when testing different speakers and have not been able to buy another one anywhere....... hopefully Hornby will produce another run as they were very popular and sold out quickly - don’t understand why they haven’t as it is money for old rope once the sound file has been created and the margin must be substantial as the pcb assy will be dirt cheap in volume.

Anyway, this is an even tighter fit and require the speaker to be mounted behind the front grill, which pulls off and the plastic body behind it can be cut out to accept a small sugar cube speaker......fitting a stay alive requireA skilful soldering on to the pcb directly and I have not the skill or courage to try that.

Hope this is of interest - cheers Richard
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

The Hornby 08 TTS decoder fits perfectly in the Bachmann 08 with a small sugar cube speaker. I have two on my layout.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Hi guys, I have played around with tts sound on a couple of my 37s and I have a class 57 with factory fit sound. To be honest, if I have more than one running at same time it just becomes a noise and I find it irritating. That's just me, theirs nothing wrong with the sound or decoders just a personal thing. The speakers in the 37s where a pain to fit but other than that they're ok for the money. I've read about guys using I phone speakers in 08s, don't know if that's for size or quality of sound.
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Well I had good intentions of doing a bit work on layout today but turned into a blue diesel running session!

Will have to try harder :D
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Phil,

Fab set of BR Blue photos - nice collection of diesels.

Yes we all have days where running trains has to take priority over layout building....... but unfortunately not for me today as I have been applying status grass amongst other things.

Cheers Richard
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

Yet again I thought to myself, it's raining get on with the railway.....
Made the mistake of plugging it in, and it went downhill from there :lol:

Bit of a gray thing going on today.
Must try harder and get on with scenery, weathering, back scenes.........
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Phil s wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm Yet again I thought to myself, it's raining get on with the railway.....
Made the mistake of plugging it in, and it went downhill from there :lol:
Been there etc.. :lol:

A nice collection of locomotives.

Have you decided which part of Yorkshire the layout is, or is it still 'somewhere'?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Phil s

Post by Phil s »

It's narrowed down to somewhere in West Yorkshire, as the track plan is in my head and not really based on a real life station or yard that's probably how it will stay.
Just need to get finger out a get scenery etc sorted.