LOW GHYLL

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
footplate1947

Re: LOW GHYLL

Post by footplate1947 »

I would go for it Steve but only because I like continuous running when the mood takes me. John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I know what you mean John, I just can't decide why I am thinking of doing it - is it because the layout needs it or is it just because I'm bored and need something to do. Unfortunately I think it may be the latter and I do enjoy building things. I know, I should get either a job or a hobby - maybe both. :D

Any way, my first doodling as usual drifts off into complicated waters. It requires a new baseboard to replace the traverser board and a lift out section across the door. Of course I then need to include storage sidings to replace the lost storage space on the traverser, so new points are required.

And so the madness begins........

ImageLOW GHYLL V5 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Steve. I was in the same position about 15 months ago. I 'bit the bullet' and made a lift off bridge. I wish i had done it earlier. :lol:

Here is my effort.
IMG_0687.JPG
The bridge makes a circuit and is great
A) To warm up any sluggish engines.
B) Gives another direction from the fiddle Yard. On my steam engine layout, Kirkstall is over the bridge.
C) When my grandchildren are here they can run Thomas etc. at 150mph safely. :mrgreen:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I had intended to get a couple of small plywood sheets (6x2 & 4x2) but this was actually more expensive than buying a full 8x4 sheet and having the sizes I needed cut instore at B&Q.
The result is that the 4’x14” baseboard to replace the traverser board is already assembled and the glue drying in the shed.
The next step will be to sort out the fittings to connect it to the main layout then play with some Peco templates to determine the shape and position of the proposed liftout section to link with the engine shed board.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I think the idea of having a train running round and round - for a while - would be quite satisfying. I do have a board kit which would enable a "roundy" to be built, but it would involve some serious track work - it's not likely to happen.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Don’t think I’d bother if I couldn’t have a round and round.
Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I liked it before Steve. but like it even more now. Having the combination of out and back and continuous running in both directions with the realism of single track sections using token running. Now that is fun. Best of both worlds. I also like to have trains going round and round.
JohnSmithUK

Post by JohnSmithUK »

I would love a round and round, but alas space prohibits it.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Yes like the idea of the bridge you had but how much does the fiddle yard suffer.. Can you just add an extra width for the new continuous line were needed and alter the yard from a sliding yard to it being fed by points. This may make you trains shorter. That's a problem.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Making some progress on the new board and lift out section to link the ends of the layout. An added bonus is that I can actually duck under the link rather than crawl under as the layout is at chest height.
Aiming to finish off the track work later - assuming I can find enough bits of PCB for the board joints. If not I’ll get some more from Ally Pally at the weekend.

Image20190319_145434 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

Image20190319_145415 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr