attaching electrofrog points to guagemaster gm500

kridders

attaching electrofrog points to guagemaster gm500

Post by kridders »

I have had to dismantle my original layout as it is too big for the spare bedroom in the house.

I adapted peco electrofrog points and attached 6 wires to a gm500 so a signal etc can be changed along with the frog polarity.

One of the points had not been modified and I had soldered wires to the terminals of the gm500 which changed the signal etc. Can I use a gm500 with a non modified poin?
Apologies if this post is confusing,
Rog (RJ)

Re: attaching electrofrog points to guagemaster gm500

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Sorry, can't help. Maybe attach a wiring diagram of what you have?
Brian

Post by Brian »

kridders wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:30 pm I have had to dismantle my original layout as it is too big for the spare bedroom in the house.

I adapted peco electrofrog points and attached 6 wires to a gm500 so a signal etc can be changed along with the frog polarity.

One of the points had not been modified and I had soldered wires to the terminals of the gm500 which changed the signal etc. Can I use a gm500 with a non modified poin?
Apologies if this post is confusing,
Yes you can. Just connect the points frog wire to terminal 1 (or 4 on other side) and wires from rails above go to 2 & 3 (or 5 & 6 if using 4). Note if a short occurs swap wires on 2 & 3 (5 & 6) and that should remove the short.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Goingdownslow

Post by Goingdownslow »

What size is the spare bedroom?
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Hi Goingdownslow, welcome to the forum. The layout has been dismantled and the query is about the GM500 switching mechanism. I am struggling to see why you need to know the size of the room? R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
RFS

Post by RFS »

If you use a GM500 to switch frog polarity with an unmodified point, there's a risk of a momentary short occurring. This is because you are also using blade contact to switch polarity as well as the GM500. The GM500 is a very fast relay and is likely to change frog polarity before the blade rail has broken contact with the stock rail. This could be a problem on DCC.
Robert Smith
kridders

Post by kridders »

Thanks everyone.
The layout was built for use in the garage which is bigger than the spare room. I have designed a layout which fits into the spare room but wanted to use existing parts. The layout will be DC.