89121 Heljan Electronic 90ft Turntable DCC Ready

Tom

89121 Heljan Electronic 90ft Turntable DCC Ready

Post by Tom »

Does anyone have one of these, Is it a good turntable and how does it compare to the Hornby and Peco offerings noise wise, Regards, Tom.
Walkingthedog

Re: 89121 Heljan Electronic 90ft Turntable DCC Ready

Post by Walkingthedog »

All I can say is the Hornby version is very noisy. My Peco version is powered by a Locomotech motor and is almost completely silent.
Nurse, the screens!
Goingdownslow

Post by Goingdownslow »

I think mine is quiet enough.
The only criticism I have is that it doesn't realign accurately on a 180° turn.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Wow it averages about £240. I would expect it to be superb for that price.
Nurse, the screens!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Having installed this Peco turntable I am not immpresed , It is ovbiously manufactured to a budget rather than a quality and yes it works but upon reflection I wish I had spent more and bought a decent one. However it has given me an idea, I have a Technics record player turntable that has a 16 rpm setting that would make a very good nice and heavy turntable. Taking it apart the deck is allready mounted on a square 15 inch board so would be easy to fit to the basebboard. With the input voltage reduced I reckon it would be possible to rotate it at 1 RPM. The only stumbling block I can think of is how to make it go backwards. Polarity reverser? Any ideas, Regards, Tom.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi
To answer your first initial question Heljan v Hornby is like comparing Rolls Royce to a Fiat. The Heljan is a superb TT.
Next and to answer you second post, and most importantly. You mention using a record play as the drive system. Is this a 240 volt operated motor? If so, I would seriously urge you not to continue. Having 240 volts on the baseboard is quite possibility the most dangerous thing that can ever be done!

Peco are now selling their own TT drive system item PL-55 Example link and Locomotech produce a superb direct drive motor plus they also offer automatic indexing too https://www.locomotech.com/
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Goingdownslow

Post by Goingdownslow »

Tom wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 am Any ideas, Regards, Tom.
Have you considered using a microwave oven?
The casing could be cut away leaving just the base with the drive unit, you could fix the turntable deck to the glass platter and very other turn would rotate in the opposite direction.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Have you considered using a microwave oven?
The casing could be cut away leaving just the base with the drive unit, you could fix the turntable deck to the glass platter and very other turn would rotate in the opposite direction.

Are you extracting the urine?
Tom

Post by Tom »

as it happens I would power the deck motor with 10 - 20 volts AC, So the 240 volts would be remote so there is no problem there, It would be the same situation as my other power requirments for controland lighting etc................
Too Tall

Post by Too Tall »

Hi guys, sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was looking at what is required to set one of these up for a possible future project, and have a question I can't seem to find an answer too.
If one of these was installed on a DCC layout, but operated via its control box independently, does it polarity switch the rails when it turns 180 automatically, or is further equipment needed ?