Refurbished shed

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Steve M

Refurbished shed

Post by Steve M »

I was wondering where to put this. Neither of my layout threads would be appropriate as they don't live in the shed in the title. This shed is the one where I do my painting but that thread is not suited either.

I built my 'workshop' shed about 16 years ago - good sturdy frame but the outer cladding is showing its age, and is now a bit draughty. The plan is to strip it all off and panel the sides in OSB before covering with new T&G or featheredge.

I've dusted off and tested my nail gun, measured the walls and calculated what I need to buy. Now I know that the 'virus that shall not be mentioned' has placed some absolutely necessary restrictions on our day to day lives, and the work I need to do is nowhere near 'essential', but I can't even get onto the websites for Wickes or B&Q without having to sit in a 'virtual queue' for more than an hour - and that's just to check sizes.

I gave up completely on one entirely. Wickes, however do say that their home delivery service is still operating, so I figured I could place an order and let them deliver as and when the regulations allow. Incidentally delivery would be completely contactless so no issues there. But no, once you negotiate the virtual queue, you find that they actually only offer click and collect.

Not really an option to carry that much timber on a roof rack so multiple journeys would be needed and it certainly wouldn't be contactless. Not allowed under the current rules either.

Not an issue, just have to wait it out.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Re: Refurbished shed

Post by Walkingthedog »

Good luck with Wickes. My son has placed an order 4 times and as he goes to pay it says it can’t continue and he has an account there.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Steve, when i did mine in Lancaster, i found it much cheaper to buy from timber yard in running metres. This was mainly in 4 metre lengths, shiplap, was what i used. I found Wicks, expensive. I accept that you will have to wait weeks before anyone will deliver, but it might be worth a phone call, or 2. I had much less wastage, with running metres.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

John,I agree with you on the shiplap but I may lose out if the merchants charge for delivery. Will find out in due course I’m sure. :D
Wickes seems to be quite competitive when it comes to sheet materials with free delivery (eventually).
Hoping I can at least get it done before autumn if all is well.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

My local merchant offers free delivery but as a result of C-19 it was forced to close, hence my new plastic deck remains on hold. Fortunately I got all my layout wood well before the crackdown.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

RAF96 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:30 am Fortunately I got all my layout wood well before the crackdown.
Panic buying. :D
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

One of my to do jobs is to refurbish my garden tool shed as it is on its last legs. I measured it up and made a list of all the timber and nails required for the renovations. I get good discounts and free delivery from our local builders merchant but kept putting off ordering the materials as the weather was so bad. Big mistake, we have the good weather now and the Builders merchant are shut down due to C 19. At least the model railway won’t suffer the same fate as I have a stock of materials and kits to keep me going for months and months. Got my priorities right there!
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

My sons mate is a master carpenter and joiner. He built a shed and covered the sides in roofing felt then covered that in tile battens with a slight gap between each one. Looks great and extremely weatherproof.

Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Not unexpectedly delivery slots are like hen’s teeth, but my time has not been wasted.

I started clearing a space around the shed so I have good access when time for the rebuild arrives. This morning’s effort is to move the lawnmower store - this has now disintegrated before my eyes so it looks like a new one will have to be built in due course. The false widow spiders are currently relocating.

I’ll just add extra timber to my currently imaginary shopping list. :D
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Progress - timber ordered.
The bad news is that the memsahib walked in just as I was paying - and then she realised I had just spent the money earmarked for next months now cancelled holiday..........which was her birthday treat.
I fear my body may soon be found in a shallow grave in the woods. :D