Stupid question!!

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
bulleidboy

Stupid question!!

Post by bulleidboy »

Well somebody has to ask? Does PVA go off? I decanted some PVA from a large unmanageable bottle into two smaller squeezy bottles with nozzles. I've used one, and when looking out the second bottle, it has turned into a white jelly (the PVA not the bottle), which is not very spreadable. Not sure whether this could be considered an essential purchase? Barry
sandy

Re: Stupid question!!

Post by sandy »

With all the impurities floating around in the air and changing tempretures. Almost anything which is not totally sealed or perhapse be kept in a vacuum, can go off. Or rather, change it's cemical composition. Remember science at school. :)
That is why lables read once opened use with-in a week or what ever. Because the contents have been exposed to all the crud in the air we have to breath.
Last edited by sandy on Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Its not a problem Barry, pour it in a larger container and either stir or shake it vigorously for 5 mins will do the trick, you can add some water to help too.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I’ve got some in a small bottle over 5 years old, just been using it on some ballast. I bought a litre from Amazon last week. Said it was for craft work but turned out to be trade glue for wood. Good stuff.

Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

I just answered the question, do things go off. I did not sugest for minute that everything you open will. I to have had PVA glue for years kiking around also evoe stick wood glue which I think is the szmd stuff and non of mine have gone off or changed. I did have a cheap squeezy bottle of PVA glue which started to go black like mildew. Binned iot. God knows how long I had had it for. I think it was Biblical years old. :lol: .
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Sandy said “ Remember science at school.”

Absolutely not. :D
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Hi, Barry, just before i left England 17 years ago, i went to B& Q, and bought 4 bottles of Bostick, PVA. I was clearing my shelves last week and found the remaining 3 i had forgotten about. They are as good as new.. Over here, PVA, is as cheap as chips, about £1.90, for about a pint, so, tended to use that, forgetting my uk stuff. So , NO, it dont go off.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Thanks for all your answers. This PVA had been decanted into a squeezy bottle - right to the top, so no air as such. It was a pig getting out of the bottle into a coffee jar - it virtually came out in one piece, and looked like milk jelly. I'll add a drop of water and give it a good shake.

It's very cheap in the UK John - I'll buy a new bottle when we're back to normal!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:41 am I’ve got some in a small bottle over 5 years old, just been using it on some ballast. I bought a litre from Amazon last week. Said it was for craft work but turned out to be trade glue for wood. Good stuff.

You must have bought the last bottle Brian - they only had five litre cans when I looked a few minutes ago.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

It’s cheaper at Screwfix at around £10 for 5l.
Maybe you have a local store doing click and collect?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)