Rocket

Modelling railways using real steam power.
Puddles

Rocket

Post by Puddles »

This model has not been run for over twenty five years, it is fuelled by butane which is stored in the barrel.
It used to take a while to get up steam and ran well as long as the track was laid flat. I don’t know how many where manufactured and if there are many around today, maybe someone will have an answer?
I put an oo gauge carriage in the pic to show the size.

Puddles

It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Mountain Goat

Re: Rocket

Post by Mountain Goat »

I remember them coming out in 1979. I Believe Hornby only made them for a year. Hornby put a seperate leaflet in with the 1979 Hornby catalogues. I dis not buy a catalogue in 1980 as the local train and toy shop in Burry Port had closed, but I did in 1981 when I found another shop selling model railways called "Jack-In-A-Box" in Llanelli. I believe that shop then closed about the mid 1980's.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you for the information MG, the loco was purchased from a hobby shop in Ottery St Mary in Devon about forty years ago.

Puddles
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I have never actually seen one in real life. I seem to recall it was a celebration loco as in Hornby brought it out to celebrate something. It was definately 1979. The strange thing is, they did not seem to come out with the 00 gauge version even though they could have as they had been made before.
I did notice that track for these large scale locos was sold for a few years after 1979.
They were quite expensive to buy which is why I never had one. (I remember when I was a child had to save for most of a year as I had around 10p or just over pocket money a week just to buy a 00 gauge loco which started at £2.50 for an 0-4-0 and was more like £6.50 for an 0-6-0 if I recall? Wagons were hovering around 99p to £1.50).
I remember my Dad looking at the leaflet, and then we saw the price on the seperate price list. He saw the price of the Rocket and told me "No". :D
(The price list was printed in black in 1979. It had brown print in 1978. The price list included as a seperate sheet in the catalogue, also had a few things that were not on the catalogue which at the time I did not know what they were (I do now as I later had a H&M3000). These were the H&M3000 and the H&M5000 which were train controllers made by a company called Hammat and Morgan, which in those days had close ties with Hornby, as H&M had used the same communication method in their H&M5000 as Hornby's Zero 1 had, and so they could both use the same loco decoders. 1979 was also the first time the Zero 1 was seen in the Hornby catalogue).
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Info sourced from Pat Hammons Story of Rovex Vol 3

Just over 23,500 G100 Rocket sets were made, c15,000 in 1979 and the remainder in 1980 and 1981. The loco on its own was given the ref G101 and the tender G110.

Originally it was meant to be released in Autumn 1978 with 25,000 sets to have been made that year. Overseas sets were made with limited success generally; 40 G122 to Sweden, 134 G123 to Spain and 620 G120 to Japan but did sell 1,890 G121 to Germany.

In 1981 it was released as static model, G125, in kit form but did not sell well - only 2,330 were made.

The G104 coach did not appear until 1980 (planned for 1979) with over 7,400 being made and a further 1,250 in 1981 so explaining the relative scarcity of those today.

Around 9,200 pairs of G103 Y points were made and nearly 12,900 boxes of G102 track (96 x 3" lengths) which were designed with one rail shorter so as to form straights or curves. The track and points were also made in 1979-1981.

Slight contradiction as firstly it is stated 64,000 G100 Rocket sets were needed to be sold to break-even, implying a significant loss being made, but then it "did recoup its costs".
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Thank you for the information Mike and Mountain Goat. As they were rather expensive my sister and I clubbed together and purchased it as a Christmas present for our father, on visits I only saw it run a few times as it was a long process of laying out the track in the living room on old newspapers to catch the oil that it spat out and getting it fired up took quite a while so it has spent most of its life in its box. I just have it on display in my train room but one day I will have a go at running it in the garden.

Puddles
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Think it would have been better if they had made normal straight and curved track for it which would have been far longer than 3" a piece, and hence far quicker to lay out. At least they did use a recognised gauge (3 1/2") so alternative track can be used. This is a noticeable difference to the Lionel Harry Potter set they are currently selling (R1268 https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/remote-con ... press.html ) which some retailers have advertised as being G scale (45mm gauge) but it actually is an unique to Lionel 55mm gauge.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

I think that Hogwart is a very good price for what you get and ideal for getting youngsters interested in model trains,
Hopefully Hornby are on a winner with this one Mike!
Puddles