Feature on Metcalfe models

Post here items relating to other model railway manufacturers.
darkscot

Feature on Metcalfe models

Post by darkscot »

Interesting feature here on Metcalfe Models, from the print industry perspective.

https://www.printweek.com/features/arti ... g-business

One noteworthy snippet is that they are planning to introduce 3D printing, but that is in hold for the moment. I wonder if that means things like drainpipes, chimney pots etc will be included in future models?
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
bulleidboy

Re: Feature on Metcalfe models

Post by bulleidboy »

An interesting read.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

A good read. I tend not to use card kits anymore as I prefer the texture and relief of resin and plastic models - particularly on my OO layout, but Metcalfe kits make up all of my station area on the N layout.
Always found Nick Metcalfe very helpful when I have contacted him - even supplying replacement sheets when I have made a complete dog’s breakfast of a kit.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

I really like the Metcalfe kits, I have used their platform kit on my new layout and plan to add their station and small signal box. The only downside is that they are quite distinctive. I really like the look of the Scalescenes 'kits' and as soon as I get the time I am going to try their free coal office.

https://scalescenes.com/product/r024-we ... al-office/

I have downloaded and printed this out, but other projects have taken priority.
PBoland

Post by PBoland »

Excellent read and insight into great kits.... building one at the moment :)
Using the GM575 Gaugemaster A3 Modelling Workstation while sitting in the armchair. Got one before Christmas and bought another for my son and grandson. They are great but had to source from different suppliers, they seem popular.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

That workstation looks a very good idea! I do all my kit-building at the kitchen table, that would go a long way to ease the concerns of senior management.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

The only problem with Metcalfe buildings is everybodys layouts look the same.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

brian1951 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:33 pm The only problem with Metcalfe buildings is everybodys layouts look the same.
I agree 100%, though to be fair they are quite easy to customise if you feel inclined.

I already have the Metcalfe platform set on my layout, because it does the job and is very adaptable. Their Country Station literally arrived today. I ordered this because it fits exactly with the location I am modelling. I also have their small signal box on order as I think it looks lovely and fits with the station.

The next obvious choice is their goods shed, which I almost bought. That would fit the layout very well and go with the other buildings. However, I can't help feeling I would end up with something that looks like a Metcalfe exhibition layout. So I have a very old unmade Wills Kits goods shed which I might use instead. I am also very taken with the Scalescenes industrial buildings, so I might have a go at them.