Project 1

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Ninemil

Project 1

Post by Ninemil »

Hi all,

I know I've already said several times how I'm restarting my old hobby, but I don't seem to have done much yet. Ok, I've unpacked the locos, made an oval of track and tested them all and apart from one going backwards instead of forwards, they all work. But in terms of actually building anything, I've not got very far. Lots of reading (since finding this forum!), lots of doodling track plans, lots of thinking but now time to crack on a actually do something.

Project 1 is intentionally very small and I intend to focus on scenery and testing out some electrical ideas. It hardly counts as a layout, more of a diorama really, There will be a moving train on a short section of almost straight track, but no points, no continuous loops, nothing spectacular. Scenery will be hills, trees, a tunnel entrance, a car park, and a couple of buildings, mainly the station. Lighting to be included.

I have purposely chosen something so tiny so that I can see relatively quick progress, without the possibility of being tempted to add anything else in on a whim. I suppose it's a prototype for Project 2 really. More of that later.

There will be updates and pictures as Project 1 progresses.
IanAlan

Re: Project 1

Post by IanAlan »

It sounds like a plan, and a good one at that. I've read that some MRF members have incorporated small layouts into larger layouts later on. Just a thought. Good luck and have fun.
Ninemil

Post by Ninemil »

Thanks for your encouraging words and the idea of using Project 1 within later layouts. I hadn't really thought about that but can already see how what I've got in mind could be incorporated into the bigger layout. I'll bear that in mind.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

It's a good idea to test your skills
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Ninemil

Post by Ninemil »

I've not been on the forum for a few days, not contributing anyway, but I've not been idle. It's all coming back to me now, how many different aspects there are to this hobby and I'm glad that I have started with a tiny project to get me back into it. Woodwork, electrical, track plans, rolling stock, scenery, soldering, researching and buying...

So I've been doing the woodworking, tried out some soldering (it's a while since I've done this and wanted to practise on some unimportant stuff first), and put some track together, ordered various bits and bobs, and giving thought to what comes next. Maybe what comes next is maybe the most difficult bit (for me anyway) and is getting the landscape and scenery to look reasonable. Thoroughly absorbed for now anyway. I'll try to get a picture or two sorted before too long.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Looking forward to seeing this - it's nice when you see something started from scratch. Remember - no need to rush anything. I spend hours watching Youtube videos on how someone else has made a good job of something I want to do. Everard Junction on Youtube has been very inspirational to me - there are of course others.
Ninemil

Post by Ninemil »

bulleidboy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 am Looking forward to seeing this - it's nice when you see something started from scratch. Remember - no need to rush anything. I spend hours watching Youtube videos on how someone else has made a good job of something I want to do. Everard Junction on Youtube has been very inspirational to me - there are of course others.
Thanks for your message, bulleidboy.

I know how the hours can disappear with watching videos as you say, and searching through multiple websites for things that you need to buy. So, it feels like I haven't done much or got very far, but I'd rather get as much right as I can on this first project in the hope that I can learn from the experience before starting anything bigger.

I'll get some pictures up as promised, despite feeling almost embarrassed by the unadventurous scope and tiny size of my project, literally a short section of track, not even a full loop. Like I've said, a diorama rather than a layout. But the train will (hopefully) go back and forth, lights will go on, the signal will show red and green at appropriate times.

I'm more interested in getting grass, rocks, buildings, roads etc. to look good, whether bought or homemade. I've got to make a station building and platform but I've no idea where I'm even going to start with that. Haven't even given it a thought yet.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi Ninemil. Good advice given by other members.
Just to add. Whatever you do keep it fun (even when something goes wrong).

Making a small layout that can be added to a bigger layout is a good idea. (imho) I did it with my Sovereign Street section (4ft x 1ft and a bit) Even now I can operate it on its own.

Scenery.
See what you see and not what you thought you saw. Look at the sky. It is a myriad of colours. Nature is wild. Greenery is 'fifty shades' even in a square foot. Only yesterday I saw on television people (in England) walking through grassland that was almost as tall as they were.

Enjoy the journey.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I wish I’d started smaller than I did as there is much to learn and techniques to practise/ discard/ retain. As has been said before it’s a hobby to enjoy - the journey is sometimes more exciting than the destination - as someone once said (or was that just me!) whatever, looking forward to your progress - you’ll only get words of encouragement and friendly advice on here - not criticism.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Starting a small project is a good idea. I decided that this was a good plan.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...