track clean

tommyrob123

track clean

Post by tommyrob123 »

some of my dcc track which i bought used is very dirty and i am having trouble cleaning it. my train sticks in places even though there is a good feed.
any ideas on how to give this a really good going over. i do have the alcohol stuff and the rubber but doesn't seem to be very effective. when the engine is up to speed not much of a problem, mainly on lower speeds
any tips please
Steve M

Re: track clean

Post by Steve M »

Used track often proves disappointing. Usual practice is to clean with a track rubber followed by a wipe with IPA but you must also keep the loco wheels and pickups clean- especially with DCC.
Try that first.
Also check to see if the track is steel or nickel silver. The former will be magnetic- if it is, throw it away and replace with new N/S.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Go to the kitchen, and nick your lady wifes scotchbrite nylon rectangular pad. Also, use rough side of piece of hardboard. Dont support the discard idea, as much of my track is old, and cleans up beautifully. I clean my newer track as well, using same method, described, as do not have funds to buy new, given postage costs to france.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

If you have used the rubber followed by the IPA and the track is looking shiny bright then it must be the loco wheels or pick ups. Does it happen on more than one loco? Is the track perfectly flat? Does it stall at the same place every time?
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

no the problem occurs with both trains and at roughly the same stretch. have used a rubber, i know, and ipa.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Is the track flat and are the rail joiners connected properly.
Nurse, the screens!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Could be uneven track or back to back wheel spacing especially if its on a curve. Does it pick up if you press lightly on top of the loco or move it sideways? You haven't confirmed whether you have cleaned the wheels as these too can be the problem. When it stalls get a screwdriver and touch the tip to each driving wheel and to the track it's sitting on to see if that is the wheel not making contact.
tommyrob123

Post by tommyrob123 »

track is flat and joined fine with power feeders. i just think it will need a really good clean. have noticed if train going at some speed then no problems
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

If you have been running trains on dirty track, cleaning the track will only partly solve the problem as the dirt will also be on the wheels of locos, coaches and wagons and they will all need cleaning. To cut down on dirt it is best to replace any plastic wheels with metal ones and stop the use (or seriously limit) the use of locos fitted with traction tyres.
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

That's because the inertia carries it over the bad spots. For slow running electrical contact must be maintained all the time. If it is only one section of track and you are happy everything else we've mentioned is fine you could try replacing that section.