Cobalt & Seep PM1 easier fitting

Suggest or recommend suitable tools for use in constructing your model railway.
Mr Bones

Cobalt & Seep PM1 easier fitting

Post by Mr Bones »

Both cobalt and seep PM1 motors are reasonably easy to fit, however, I do find if they need adjusting it can be a pain especially if its only a small amount and the screw holes are close together.

I recently found these and so far I'm finding them easy to use and ideal if small adjustments are required. Not cheap admittedly, but very handy. Hopefully you might also find them useful.

Cobalt pint motor mount

Seep point motor mount

Hope it helps.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Goingdownslow

Re: Cobalt & Seep PM1 easier fitting

Post by Goingdownslow »

The one for the Seep only has a rotational adjustment whereas a lateral adjustment would have been better to be able centralise the switch, which can be done anyway by just elongating the fixing holes in the Seep and costs nothing.
Edit: Just looked at the Cobalt and that only has rotational adjustment too.
Last edited by Goingdownslow on Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Both of the final 2 photos in each advert are identical. Lazy advertising. They may look the same when fitted, but at least he could have shown 2 different sets of photos or angles.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Inclined to agree with both comments.
I did find though that fitting a Cobalt with two larger screws rather than four small ones a lot easier.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
RFS

Post by RFS »

I use Tortoises rather than Cobalts and found that the best way of fixing was to use a double-sided stick pad to hold the motor in position first. This is not a long term solution but strong enough to allow checking and adjusting the placement. I then fix a couple of screws with both hands free for the task.
Robert Smith
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

At those prices it is probably cost effective to buy your own 3D printer and make your own. They are flat shapes with a few holes going through that does not require much effort to design.

Richard
dougieb1903

Post by dougieb1903 »

I'm currently installing Seep PM1 motors. Alignment fine and no problems with electrical side. Whats the best tool to cut off excess from pin once above the actual point. Any suggestions on the best tool to use would be appreciated. Cheers Douglas
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Strong side cutters or a Dremel. Which ever one you use wear eye protection as they can fly off at speed.

Others might suggest other better ways of doing it.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

A Dremel is likely to heat up the pin to the point that it could melt the tie bar (I learnt the hard way).
Use a set if heavy side cutters to cut it as short as possible and then dress the top with light touches of the Dremel .
And don’t forget the safety glasses.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
dougieb1903

Post by dougieb1903 »

Thanks guys